Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Introductions

#1   IP: 12.7.138.224
Old 01-18-2018, 07:28 PM

Hi Afourians!

Day one of sail boat ownership, I came to find out I had a hole in my head, literally. I have never really introduced myself to the crowd even though I have benefited tremendously from the wisdom shared here. So today I thought I'd share a quick true story that is likely not very different from many I've read here that explains my loyalty to MMI.

I bought a Newport 27 in January of 2007 off a guy from a craigslist ad and while I had no idea how to sail the boat, or what an Atomic 4 was, I did know how to run a motor boat, so I decided to take it out for a run in the Los Angeles Harbor. I got just outside of Angel's Gate when I heard a loud bang, then exhaust noise with gasoline laden smoke pouring up from the cabin. So I immediately shut down the motor before I blew up the boat!

Of course while this was happening, a huge container ship was approaching the gate with 5 blasts coming from his horn over and over. Panicked I ran below, pulled the steps aside and found that the #2 spark plug had disintegrated! Even better, come to find out that #3 spark plug had the same fate some time prior and a broken extractor was stuck in the remains of the spark plug. Desperate, I managed to restart the motor and limped back to my slip in San Pedro on just two cylinders. Looking back, this motor is awesome when you consider the conditions it will operate under. Even in this state, it got me out of a very bad spot.

That evening a fellow was walking by my "new" boat and saw I was somewhat unhappy about my recent purchase. He claimed to be a mechanic who confided that anyone who can change the oil in a car could do much of their own work on an Atomic 4. He recommended Moyer Marine's website and I have been a loyal fan and customer ever since.

So I bought Don's manual (the bible) and set about taking the head off to clear out the spark plugs. While chipping away the rust on top, I found a nice little hole leading into the water jacket. So armed with a new/used head along with a whole bunch of other parts from MMI, got it all put back together and it has been running well ever since. There have been many jobs done on the boat and the motor since then and I regularly research here before diving in to fix or upgrade the engine.

Recently I started having difficulty keeping the temperature under control and so finally tackled cleaning out the water jacket. See that thread in the overhaul section if you're interested. It has been a real concern for many years now, but thanks to the many posts on this board, I decided it was time to get it done.

I have never hired a mechanic to do the work on my A4 and don't plan to, thanks to the folks on this board, Ken the parts guru and the great team at Moyer Marine!
Los Angeles, California
The Following User Says Thank You to Borrowed Time For This Useful Post:
Ram41662 (01-19-2018)
  #2   IP: 24.152.132.65
Old 01-18-2018, 07:58 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
San Pedro huh? Cabrillo Marina, Cabrillo Way marina, Holiday Harbor?
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #3   IP: 98.171.169.84
Old 01-18-2018, 09:13 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrowed Time View Post
I have never hired a mechanic to do the work on my A4 and don't plan to, thanks to the folks on this board, Ken the parts guru and the great team at Moyer Marine!
Nobody but me has so much as touched my A4 since the boat left the factory. Really.The boat was built in 1979. I bought it from the first owner in 1982 or 1983 and have owned it ever since.
Before I bought the boat I asked he owner if I could look at the dipstick. I knew enough about marine engines to know that water in the oil is a definite red flag.
The previous owner didn't even know where the dipstick was! I think it is safe to say I'm the only one that has ever touched the engine.

TRUE GRIT
  #4   IP: 173.149.154.144
Old 01-19-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:

I bought a Newport 27 in January of 2007 off a guy from a craigslist ad...
Well, that sounds familar. The wife bought me the same boat, 1974 Newport 27, off a Craig's List ad, last year.

I'm in the process of an extensive refit/upgrade that's going better than I expected.

It makes me happy to hear you're happy with your lil' yacht.

Happy sailing,
Rick
  #5   IP: 12.7.138.224
Old 01-19-2018, 12:40 PM

Hi Neil, When I bought the boat, it was at Cabrillo Marina. When I went to register with the harbor master as the new tenant for the slip, they raised the rent 25% above what the PO was paying. So as soon as I had my motor running, I moved to Wilmington (Lighthouse Yacht Landing) and have been there ever since. Do like Cabrillo's proximity to the gate, but like the slip rents in Wilmington better.

Hi Ram, I have been following your 'off the deep end' posts and you are a far braver soul than I am. On the other hand, your workshop allows you all sorts of opportunities that those of us whose boats sit in the water year round don't enjoy. Did that sound like I am envious? One thing I don't envy is the cold, cold weather you live with.
Los Angeles, California
  #6   IP: 99.203.154.220
Old 01-19-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Hi Ram, I have been following your 'off the deep end' posts and you are a far braver soul than I am. On the other hand, your workshop allows you all sorts of opportunities that those of us whose boats sit in the water year round don't enjoy. Did that sound like I am envious? One thing I don't envy is the cold, cold weather you live with.
Hey, I'd almost trade your my shop for your climate! I was living in Miami, then Atlanta, before moving to this damn ice box. 25 years and I've still not gotten adjusted to the cold.