X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gfatula
    • Oct 2008

Thanks Tom,

The other option is to replace the squirrel cage with an In line blower. The squirrel cage seems to be the better choice. I could add a second, in line, blower? I could increase the diameter of the inlet hose but it would shrink back down at the blower?

I think I will move the blower. Ugh! Another mod. Move the blower. Move the batteries around. Build a secure location for them. Wish I had seen this coming when I built the current secure platforms. I will be able to move the "heavy" tool box from its location under the port cabin seat to the batteries "old" location. It will be easily moved out of the way when necessary. O-well! I DO NEED THE ROOM MOVING ONE OF THE BATTERIES WILL PROVIDE. I can't get my shoulders into the aft engine space with all the batteries secured in their current operating locations. Disconnecting and lifting a 75# battery out of the way to adjust the packing nut "comfortably" is not a good option. A boat with an engine room next time!

G
    Last edited by gfatula; 12-01-2014, 12:38 PM.
    gfatula
    s/v Tundra Down
    Seal Harbor, Maine

Comment

• tangaroa3
      • Mar 2013

Columbia 29

Good Day,

Welcome to the forum. You'll get excellent advice and a lot of help here.
      I thought I would send you some information about the Columbia 29 you may find interesting. I'll send it to you via personal email so as not to confuse the thread.
      I owned a '61 Columbia 29 hull #3 for many years which came to me with some excellent history about the origins of this boat. It's a wonderful boat, and I wish you luck.
      If anyone else happens to be interested in this history just drop me a note.

Comment

• tangaroa3
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
        I have a Columbia too. A '68 36. Not really similar boats but family.
        I read that the mold for the early 29 was taken off a wooden boat and the lines in the hull were left in the new mold. I found the story somewhere out there in internet land. The boat next to mine in Homer Harbor is a '66 Islander 29. Does yours have lines like a wooden boat?
        Russ
        Not at all true. I owned Columbia 29 #3 built in 1961 for many years and am privy to quite a bit of the history as a result of researching this boat. PM me with your email if you want me to send some of the letters I have.

Comment

• BadaBing
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by TomG View Post
          Without going into Boyle's or Bernoulli's territory too far, the effect on total cfm moved would be negligible given the distances invovled. You are most likely affected more by voltage drop to the blower than anything else, including friction within the duct hose itself.

Move that puppy to less valuable real estate!
          Tom

On your t30, do you intake air at the calling duct by the mast.and discharge at the vent I the cockpit, above and between the slippers I the cockpit?
          Bill
          1974, Tartan 30, Unchained Melody
          www.CanvasWorks.US

Comment

• TomG
            Afourian MVP Emeritus
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BadaBing View Post
            Tom

On your t30, do you intake air at the calling duct by the mast.and discharge at the vent I the cockpit, above and between the slippers I the cockpit?
            Bill, my blower picks up right below the carb and the hose runs under the port settee and quarterberth and then exits in the cockpit just to port of the rudderpost. I do have a day/night solar fan mounted over the chase where the standpipe lives that runs 24/7 exchanging air in the cabin. My T30 has louvered doors in the head, so fresh air is drawn in through the head (and every other gap) when the blower is running.
            Tom
            "Patina"
            1977 Tartan 30
            Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

• BadaBing
              • Jul 2007

Thanks. Your ducting for the blower sound like how mine is set up. I had a second blower under the stand pipe blowing down into the bilge to suck air down the on deck intake over the stand pipe enclosure. I removed the secondary blower for my current project and am considering mounting it above the stand pipe, blowing down on or over the stand pipe and pushing great air into the engine compartmen.
              The cowling over the stand pipe area, that provides fresh air to the engine compartment has no dorad, which seems to be the norm on T30s that I have seen.
              Bill
              www.CanvasWorks.US

Comment

• TomG
                Afourian MVP Emeritus
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BadaBing View Post
                Thanks. Your ducting for the blower sound like how mine is set up. I had a second blower under the stand pipe blowing down into the bilge to suck air down the on deck intake over the stand pipe enclosure. I removed the secondary blower for my current project and am considering mounting it above the stand pipe, blowing down on or over the stand pipe and pushing great air into the engine compartmen.
                The cowling over the stand pipe area, that provides fresh air to the engine compartment has no dorad, which seems to be the norm on T30s that I have seen.
                Bill, when I got my T30, the blower was actually mounted just forward of the A4 down by the base of the mast with the ducting running inside the chase in the head where the original standpipe was located. When I changed from a waterlift back to a standpipe, there wasn't enough room in the chase for both so I went back to original ducting under the settee and out the back. The '77 model has two dorades, one in the head and one in the saloon. I have a day/night solar fan pulling air out of the chase over the standpipe that does a pretty good job of keeping moisture down. Since my blower exhausts into the cockpit, I know right away if fuel fumes are present.
                Tom
                "Patina"
                1977 Tartan 30
                Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

• BadaBing
                  • Jul 2007

Thanks Tom, I found just about the exact same thing except the PO of my boat had squeezed the flex duct into the cavity along side the standpipe.

Im thinking of making and adding a dorad box for this cowling. I also have two dorads for the cabin vents. Would like to try to precent rain from such easy access to my engine compartment.
                  Bill
                  www.CanvasWorks.US

Comment

Working...
                  X