X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Golfdad75
    • Sep 2014

Battery switch or keyed ignition switch

Today as usual boat started fine, went thirty minutes out in the bay shut it off. Spent around two hours in great conditions. Storm coming up so I tried to start the engine. As usual nothing, went below to flip battery switch ( this always works) but now nothing. Flip back and forth nothing. Check battteries both fine. Got juice to the ignition switch, still nothing. this consistently happens but only after an hour or two of sailing. For instance it never fails in the marina, if I go to fuel dock it will start up. Only after it sits for an hour or so do I have a problem. Today it finally started after an hour of panicking( bad storm coming up).
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

• Is the engine cranking but not starting when you turn the key or dead silent?
    • How did you determine "Got juice to the ignition switch"?
    • What brand and model of boat?
    This should be easy to trace down in a matter of minutes during a failure episode with a volt meter in hand.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Golfdad75
      • Sep 2014

When I turned the key I got silence, I had a multimeter on the switch. I have a 79 Columbia 8.7

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

OK, first things first. Same test except put the test leads between ground and the S terminal on the keyswitch instead of the I and turn the key to Start. 12V yes or no?

No = bad keyswitch
        Yes = repeat the test with the tester on the starter solenoid small post with the white wire attached. 12V yes or no?

No = wiring harness issue
        Yes = bad ground to engine or bad starter solenoid

On principle all battery cables should be tightened at both ends, positives and negatives. Pay special attention to the battery switch. The mention that manipulating it remedied the problem previously suggests a loose connection there.
        Last edited by ndutton; 07-27-2018, 10:52 PM.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• marthur
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2004

happens but only after an hour or two of sailing
          This is another piece of evidence that the battery switch has something loose.
          Mike

Comment

Working...
          X