Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Overhaul

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   IP: 66.68.81.248
Old 07-08-2018, 02:07 PM

Cool milky oil

I own a 1976 S2 8 meter center cockpit. The Atomic 4 has served me well as I just need to motor out to the main body of the lake to sail. The only major issue I have had was with raw water cooling and I corrected that. I replaced the impeller which appeared to have melted, loosened and retightend the thermostat housing, replaced a small length of hose, and then my cooling system worked well. Of late however my oil has turned milky gray. From other posts I have deducted that this is from water contamination, but there is also an odor of gas in the oil. I just pumped out the oil via the dipstick hole and changed it. I raised level to full on dipstick and it was clear before I started the engine. Once a ran the motor for a few minutes to get it warm I checked the oil again. It was the same milky gray. I do not have the funds or desire to rebuild this engine if I have a crack that is allowing water from the jackets into my crankcase. I will continue to check to see if the level on the dipstick continues to rise (Indicating further water intrusion?). I also have been led to believe that this may be a fuel pump diaphragm issue. I suppose I could change the oil out again with the engine nice and warm in hopes that I have a residual of gray oil or sludge in the bottom of the crankcase or engine that made the oil turn gray. Any advice?

Tags
gas in oil., gray, oil sludge, overheating, water in oil