• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Whippet
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2012

water level

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
    If it's above the water line no BIG worries. If it is below you will need to run the water injection hose well above the water line and install a syphon break as water will be sucked past the water pump to fill the exhaust then when the exhaust fills to the level of an open exhaust valve the dribblibng in via the syphon will reak havoc.

Dave Neptune
    Thanks Dave. Suppose i cant reallly confirm until May when C&C is back in Lake Ontario. In meantime, i will run on hard with intake hose in 5-gal bucket and see if oil still turns into milkshake. Here's a dumb question. Does it matter if bucket is high or low as possible?

I appreciate help
    Steve
    Etobicoke YC, C&C27
    A4 #204381, 1980

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Perhaps

Whippet, if there is water in the oil it will take a few oil changes to get rid of it. You can run the hoses up to another spot and install the A/S valve and then back down to the exhaust. I had to do that in my boat. My engine is in the middle so I ran mine up behind a berth and up into a storage shelf to get well above the waterline. Even at that with my low freeboard the valve would often still stick so I went to a manually operated one now I need to remember to open and close as necessary.
      Just stick the hose in a bucket, as long as you are close the pump will suck it in.
      As far as your injection point lower would be a bit better, however I'm not sure a chnage is needed. Mine is not to much differant and I have no rise at all from the manifold.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Don't get so focused on the exhaust as the source of water incursion that you overlook the many other possibilities. Dave's advice regarding the addition of an anti siphon valve (see last paragraph) is of course spot on and many of us would like greater rise in the dry exhaust section but yours isn't that different from many here. It's good to eliminate the exhaust system as a possibility but thus far it's not conclusive that's the cause.

So what are the other possibilities for water mixing with oil? A common one is water pump seals. Another is manifold breach (I don't remember, have you pressure tested the manifold?). Head gasket, block and head casting issues are also possible but let's not go there unless further testing directs us.

My exhaust doesn't have an anti siphon valve but rather an anti siphon loop. It is placed in the same water injection hose well above the waterline but at the top of the loop is a small hose Tee'd in that runs to the galley sink drain. With this design there is no valve to service or fail.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Sony2000
          • Dec 2011

C&C27 " Atomic 4 exhaust replacement" systems have been compiled by Windyday on the C&C27 Association website. The last loop just prior to the transom, is higher than the loop at the engine. I don't understand exactly why, but it shows up a number of times, and must work.

Comment

• edwardc
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
            Don't get so focused on the exhaust as the source of water incursion that you overlook the many other possibilities...
            I agree with Neil. I've been down this path before. I got so wrapped up in the exhaust that I neglected to do some simple things first to eliminate other causes.

One of these simple things is to pressure test the manifold and cooling jacket. This can be done together with the engine in place with minimum disassembly. If it holds pressure, you've eliminated a bunch of possibilities, and if it doesn't, you've eliminated the exhaust.

There's a detailed description of an easy way to pressure-test here:

@(^.^)@ Ed
            1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
            with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Whippet
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2012

Thanks

Appreciate all the advice here. Sounds like best course from here is to wait for Toronto to rise above -8C, get the A4 fired up, and run the tests. More to come...

You guys are great.
              Steve
              Etobicoke YC, C&C27
              A4 #204381, 1980

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                • Jan 2007

Many checks

Whippet, as Neil & Edward pointed out there are many possibilities. I did not travel down that path as you made no mention of any rough running prior to the incursion, perhaps I should of inquired. If it was indeed rough running before you saw the incursion that would be an indicator of it gioing through the cylinders while running. A quick compression check may detect the head gasket possibility and preassure checking the manifold in place is relatively easy. Sounds like you have the winter to deal with and time is on your side to do the checks.

Neil, I had the drain set up on mine however the 1/4 inch line did eventually plug up and that was in Cat Harbor a long time ago. Went to start and the starter just grunted. The engine was completely full and water was dripping out of the carb. I had been sitting for 3 days and less than an hour later I was motoring out of the bay. I also did not like hearing the constant gurgling while in the cockpit as that was where mine drained.

Dave Neptiune

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Excellent info Dave. I'll check that hose immediately.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California

Comment

• Whippet
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2012

Runs normal and compression OK

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                    Whippet, as Neil & Edward pointed out there are many possibilities. I did not travel down that path as you made no mention of any rough running prior to the incursion, perhaps I should of inquired. If it was indeed rough running before you saw the incursion that would be an indicator of it gioing through the cylinders while running. A quick compression check may detect the head gasket possibility and preassure checking the manifold in place is relatively easy. Sounds like you have the winter to deal with and time is on your side to do the checks.

Dave Neptiune

Hi Dave:

A4 ran fine all summer right up to winterizing. Last week, i did the "thumb" compression check (after putting copious MMO in cylinders) and all 4 checked out. So still hoping it was just a few episodes of slow starting w raw water thru-valve open.

I do plan to do manifold compression test now that Mo has sent steps. All the queries about exhaust were intended as another winter project that could have contributed to water in oil.

Still trying to think through if anti-siphon valve is a worthy addition. Even if manifold above waterline, does it do any harm?

thanks again
                    Steve
                    Etobicoke YC, C&C27
                    A4 #204381, 1980

Comment

• ndutton
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

That's the right approach re: anti siphon (loop or valve). There's no downside.
                      Neil
                      1977 Catalina 30
                      San Pedro, California

Comment

• Whippet
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2012

solved (i think)

To close thread on my water in oil experience. Got diagnosis help of friendly mechanic and he saw some leaking around water pump that i had missed. It was a late model Oberdorfer -- so i had thought these are less likely to be culprit -- but looks like i was wrong.

i replaced w new moyer pump, and after running 20 gals or so thru, i see no sign of water. true test is when hit water in few weeks, but i think i am clear for now.
                        Steve
                        Etobicoke YC, C&C27
                        A4 #204381, 1980

Comment

• Mo
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Whippet View Post
                          To close thread on my water in oil experience. Got diagnosis help of friendly mechanic and he saw some leaking around water pump that i had missed. It was a late model Oberdorfer -- so i had thought these are less likely to be culprit -- but looks like i was wrong.

i replaced w new moyer pump, and after running 20 gals or so thru, i see no sign of water. true test is when hit water in few weeks, but i think i am clear for now.
                          I'd say so as well...sounds good to go.
                          Mo

"Odyssey"
                          1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                          The optimist expects it to change.
                          The realist adjusts the sails.
                          ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Bold Rascal
                            • Mar 2011

Good for you Whippet

Hopefully not too many troubled nights sleep during the winter over this..
                            Mike, Slower-Lower Eastern shore, MD
                            1973 Pearson 33
                            1967 Bristol 27
                            sigpic

Comment

• Whippet
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2012

Water in Oil: it's baaack

ah crud!

i had a "water in oil" episode in spring, but i thought it was fixed. appears not.

Replaced water pump in spring with new MMI on advice of mechanic who said that was source of water. First oil change a few hours into operation this year was clear of water. phew, i thought.

Just did winterize oil change today -- and the milkshake is back. i pulled dip stick before change. i'd say it was a bit above normal, but not much. so not like water is gushing in. i would have about 6-8 hours since last change (main use is just getting out of dock).

Engine ran fine this summer particularly after warm up. Oil pressure normal at 30-40. Compression checked out at about 100 in all cylinders in the spring. Redid exhaust in spring with water exhaust loop above waterline with a/s valve. and new MMI water pump as mentioned.

I tried to be careful not to do much cranking with raw water valve open.

So now what?

1) from prior posts, seems like manifold pressure test is most recommended?
                              2) Then progress to block? is there a test to isolate head from block? Likely head could be replaced on boat if that is culprit -- but block means big ordeal.

Hoping i just had on unlucky socks - and all will be fine next time -- but i doubt it. definition of bad day -- but i am reminded this is a "first world problem."

thanks for all advice as usual
                              Steve
                              Etobicoke YC, C&C27
                              A4 #204381, 1980

Comment

• Sony2000
                                • Dec 2011

During my water in the oil session recently, a well known Atomic 4 mechanic's first opinion was, " a burnt exhaust valve will just suck in the water".

Comment

Working...
                                X