Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Interest

#1   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 07-18-2011, 09:15 PM
Afourian MVP

Smile What spare parts to carry.

I have a few spares on the boat that have kept me out of trouble on occasion. I was thinking of some of the new members here and what they should on-board as they head out with friends and family: Please add your 2 cents worth.

Tools: Good socket set; good screw driver set; wire crimpers and ends; good set of wrenches; vise grips; pipe wrench; silicone gasket maker(high heat); tube of seal-all; voltmeter. This will allow you to fix most things that will come up.

-alternator belt x 2
-coil..new
-points and condenser if not electronic ignition (new)
-spare set of plugs..new
-spare fuses
-wire (roll)
-spare fuel filter elements (2) and spare inline (2)

Anything else....just add it in.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.
  #2   IP: 173.166.26.241
Old 07-18-2011, 10:16 PM
Afourian MVP

Talking

spare distributor cap and rotor - extra quarts of 30w oil - extra antifreeze (if FWC) - roll of duct-tape
  #3   IP: 69.131.52.8
Old 07-19-2011, 05:22 AM

A tip I read a long time about about spare parts -- if the spare part is not one you have been using (i.e. if it is not a direct part # replacement for something you already have) then install it right away and keep the part you just took off at the spare. This way you find out right away if the new type of spare fits/works properly, etc.
  #4   IP: 148.170.241.1
Old 07-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Afourian MVP

Here is what Robert Hess says he keeps on his own boat - this is a copy and paste from his web page, so when it says "I", it's Robert Hess talking, not me:

rebuilt starter
rebuilt alternator
water pumps (I have a heat exchanger, so I need 1 sea water pump, and 1 engine coolant pump)
2 spare alternator belts
2 spare sea water pump belts
rebuilt carburetor (gasoline engine) or rebuilt fuel injectors (diesel engine)
electric fuel pump and mount
2 metres of rubber fuel hose and some fuel hose clamps
1 set of engine coolant hoses and some clamps
1 set of sea water pump hoses and some clamps
exhaust hose clamps
rebuilt distributor
set of spark plugs
set of spark plug wires
distributor points, condenser, rotor, cap
3 fuel filters
6 litres of engine oil
4 litres of transmission (marine gear) oil
1 litre of V drive hypoid gear oil
complete gasket set
a box of fuses (6 per box) for each type of fuse on the boat
3 or 4 light bulbs for each type of bulb on the boat
a box of miscellaneous nuts, bolts, washer, screws, pipe fittings, cotter pins, roll pins, allen screws, rivets, etc
JB Weld
3M 5200 sealer
penetrating oil
stainless steel lock wire
electrical tape
miscellaneous electrical wire & terminals
a couple of small lengths of 2" x 4" wood
set of hand tools, electric drill and drill bits, electrical tester, propane torch, hack saw, axe, big cable cutters, etc

Relentless pursuer of lost causes
  #5   IP: 174.65.54.224
Old 07-20-2011, 03:47 AM
Afourian MVP

2 rolls of duct tape.
Harbor Island, San Diego
2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date
  #6   IP: 148.170.241.1
Old 07-20-2011, 01:57 PM
Afourian MVP

I would wrap the duct tape around my head to keep it from exploding when I think of how much money I've spent on my boat in the past year.

Relentless pursuer of lost causes
  #7   IP: 76.11.110.224
Old 12-13-2014, 03:31 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeRust View Post
Here is what Robert Hess says he keeps on his own boat - this is a copy and paste from his web page, so when it says "I", it's Robert Hess talking, not me:

rebuilt starter
rebuilt alternator
water pumps (I have a heat exchanger, so I need 1 sea water pump, and 1 engine coolant pump)
2 spare alternator belts
2 spare sea water pump belts
rebuilt carburetor (gasoline engine) or rebuilt fuel injectors (diesel engine)
electric fuel pump and mount
2 metres of rubber fuel hose and some fuel hose clamps
1 set of engine coolant hoses and some clamps
1 set of sea water pump hoses and some clamps
exhaust hose clamps
rebuilt distributor
set of spark plugs
set of spark plug wires
distributor points, condenser, rotor, cap
3 fuel filters
6 litres of engine oil
4 litres of transmission (marine gear) oil
1 litre of V drive hypoid gear oil
complete gasket set
a box of fuses (6 per box) for each type of fuse on the boat
3 or 4 light bulbs for each type of bulb on the boat
a box of miscellaneous nuts, bolts, washer, screws, pipe fittings, cotter pins, roll pins, allen screws, rivets, etc
JB Weld
3M 5200 sealer
penetrating oil
stainless steel lock wire
electrical tape
miscellaneous electrical wire & terminals
a couple of small lengths of 2" x 4" wood
set of hand tools, electric drill and drill bits, electrical tester, propane torch, hack saw, axe, big cable cutters, etc
I started this thread a few years back and have put numerous hours and 5 to 6 hour trips on the engine. Some of those trips were beautiful calm seas and others were with wind and rough seas on the nose.

Bought the boat in 2007 and spent 8 weeks, 10 hrs a day, refitting her. The engine was saved for last and had stuck valves. Fixed that, new manifold and she's been a good engine since. This year I only put 1007 nautical miles on the boat, other years it's been over 2000 nm...so the boat is used quiet a bit.

So, in the past few years what did I actually use in the line of spares??

-fuel filters...had a water in fuel issue in 2009 (if I remember correctly) Changed out filters, sucked tank and all fixed. Cause was water laden gas from gas station that I poured in Jerry Cans. Boat ran poorly all day following adding gas...finally addressed the issue upon reaching destination.
-2011 condenser went...again, very near Rogues Roost. Had motored from Halifax to Hearn's Island, anchored to let the kids play on island beach. Came back to boat to start it and no go...took about 20 minutes to dx, fix and underway again without issue. Put electronic ignition in the next season...no issues since.
-2013 electrical blackout...bad connection at alternator...found and fixed no problem. Contacted ndutton for backup on that one and it all worked out...again, down the shore in an isolated hide-away...email is great with smart phone coverage. No problem getting with the electrical guru in California for some advice.
-hot exhaust -2008 broke in home port at the dock...was working under cockpit and reached up for support and it broke off...rusty. Made a new one in about 3 hrs and put it back on. 2014 hot exhaust started to leak. The one put on in 2008 lasted 5 years and 2 months. Again, easy to remove, build a new one and replace it.
-Spark Plugs...around 2011 had an engine miss. I put in a set of NGK XR4 plugs that spring and bought four more as spares. Those plugs I installed are still in service and performed well over the past 3 yrs. They have been removed for winterizing and that is pretty much it. There are new ones sitting in a box if they go but I'm just wondering how much I'll get out of them...and YES, I'm impressed.
-Oil...I use 15w40 diesel. Has worked well and I keep a gallon jug aboard. Might add once between oil changes (25) hrs, but only if pushing her hard...understandable. But YES, have oil aboard.

That is pretty much what I've had to deal with from 2007 to 2014....I had lots of parts aboard but never needed them. When the boat goes back in the water next spring something else may creep into the picture. All in all, that's not bad performance for any boat engine...gas or diesel.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Last edited by Mo; 12-13-2014 at 03:36 PM.