• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gary randall
    • Jan 2010

In need of a good guy near South Portland, Maine

Forumites,

I am posting this for my son, Kyle. I have been helping him get his engine working and we have made some progress, but I have some things I need to do and can't help out a while:

I have a Tartan 27 with a 1980's A4. I'm trying to go south for the winter, but first I need the engine to run consistently. I can do the work but I need somebody to tell me what to do, or at least point me in the right direction. Does anybody know a guy in the area?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by gary randall; 11-15-2010, 01:12 PM. Reason: need to add information
  • ArtJ
    • Sep 2009

There are some excellent people on this Forum that can help you.
    Perhaps you should begin by relating what you have done already,
    and most importantly what problems you are having.

Regards

Art

Comment

• ArtJ
      • Sep 2009

If you are really intent on getting a mechanic, perhaps you might start
      by contacting Hansen Marine in Marblehead Mass. They are a Westerbeke
      distributor and should be able to steer you to some local mechanics that
      are familiar with the Atomic 4 Engine.

Comment

• jhwelch
        • Dec 2005

It is already the middle of November. Even if Kyle's motor was running 100% perfectly it is too late to be going south in a small boat. You don't want him to be in the news as someone the Coast Guard had to pull in after a storm.

The latest I ever left to go south was the 1st of October, and it was a pretty miserable trip: cold and waiting out a lot of storms.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

I have to agree that it is getting late unless you are prepared for a winter passage. Any sort of trouble could delay you in a place where you would not be in a position to turn back. I left Massachusetts once October 26 and sailed into Fernandina on Christmas day. Now my personal rule is to leave no later than mid September. Of course if you are prepared to spend the money to stay in Marinas that changes the equation.

Comment

• sailbristol
            • Jan 2009

its too late

I left from CT nov 1st and it was a miserable and exspensive trip south had to spend many days at marinas to wait out weather and keep warm. I would get the boat and motor in tip top shape and do it next fall

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

Whether or not to make a winter passage is a personal choice. As I look back on it the experience was challenging and educational - but I was sixteen years younger! As a former winter fisherman (scalloper) I am familiar with the issues of life on a boat in winter. If you decide to do this talk to your local fisherman about the best clothing, oilers etc. I do respect anyone who does such a passage. BTW, know that even with a 5' draft you can run the inside between Manesquan and Atlantic City PROVIDED the Hwy bridge is operating at Brielle - call ahead! You will have to go out between Atlantic City and Cape May unless you can make 35' bridges.

Comment

• UsailIbail!
                • Sep 2010

You can do it!

Gary,

This IS a wonderful site for advice. My son is working on a rebuild and the folks here are a HUGE help! Read his adventure on the thread "12 year olds rebuild" if you have the time. Generally, if you post a question you will have plenty of suggestions by tool time the following day. I reposted a picture for you of my son just before he got to the heart of the problem. He is having lots of forum help in the recovery process. (Sounds kind of like a 12-step program for motor junkies!).

Good luck!

Jay - Ebbens dad.
                Attached Files
                sigpic We're not "bottom feeders"... we're "SALVAGE EXPERTS"!

Copy and paste this link into your browser bar to see a slideshow of our $1.00 sailboat journey:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvJCdiUu_cw

Comment

• ArtJ
                  • Sep 2009

I have often known of people heading South that wouldn't leave until
                  November in order to avoid the Hurricane Season.

No personal experience though.

Regards

Comment

• smosher
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jun 2006

I love the smile on your son !!!

He'll remember the project that he did with his dad for the rest of his life,

Comment

• smosh
                      • Apr 2018

Originally posted by gary randall View Post
                      Forumites,

I am posting this for my son, Kyle. I have been helping him get his engine working and we have made some progress, but I have some things I need to do and can't help out a while:

I have a Tartan 27 with a 1980's A4. I'm trying to go south for the winter, but first I need the engine to run consistently. I can do the work but I need somebody to tell me what to do, or at least point me in the right direction. Does anybody know a guy in the area?
                      Thanks.
                      Gary - i know it's 5.5 years later....is your son still in South Portland? My Tartan 30 in South Portland summers.

and i'm looking for an A4 guru in the area.
                      Stella Blue - a 1986 O'Day 272 with a Volvo Penta MD7A diesel

former owner of Euphoria - a 1971 Tartan 30 with an Atomic 4

Comment

Working...
                      X