Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 151.203.81.176
Old 06-12-2009, 11:01 PM

Noises and Smells after winter layup

Hi I just started my A4 after winter layup. I changed the oil and plugs beforehand squirting MMO in each cylinder.

It took 5+ goes at 10 second trys with the starter and a bit of throttle to get her going. She turned over but... there was this metal squeek like a rusty gate type noise. I assumed this was becuase all the oil had settled to the bottom after the winter but it didn't disappear after 1-2 minutes so i shut her down.

Thought I would give it a min and re start. Did that and it took a couple trys again but she went. Noise was still there but after a 10-15 seconds i heard a bang, perhaps it was a back fire? I'm not really sure but it soundling like I dropped something in the bilge and i shut her down thinking i just distroyed a value or something.

Figuring if i had blown the motor it was a done deal I tried clicking around a bit with the starter to see if there was a detectable noice indicating a valve and cylinder were meeting some place but i detected nothing.

Also I smelled a bit of an electrical smell after all my trys with the starter. The very rear of the starter was a bit warm but ok to touch.

Where do i go from here with the metal sound, the bang, and the smell? Am I going to get in the water this summer?
  #2   IP: 72.70.126.113
Old 06-13-2009, 10:50 AM

Ok my engine seems to be fine. I added mystery oil to the crankcase and check cylinders for water then held my breath and started. seems to be fine. The squeek / clang seems to be related to the shaft and maybe the cutlass bearing. i am still on the hard and gave the shaft a spin and it squeeks. I am going to try to crank down on my zinc to make sure it is not setting the shaft off balance. How shoudl these atomic 4 sound? I ran it last year and was always afraid it was going to break. I dont expect it will humm like a finely tuned corvette but is it ok if there is a bit of mechanical pinging?

Since i assume the cutlass will be lubricated and the noise will go away once in the water should I haul the boat back out if the noise remains?

Ok, so now that i have run the motor for a good hour i have a couple new issues...

The top of the motor seems to be quite hot (taking the wires off the spark plugs almost hurts to touch) but my temp sensor reads about 155-160. I put a bit of water on the top of the block and it boils off from around the spark plugs. Should i be concerned? Could this be related to the spark plug? PS the temp sensor and gauge is new and the old sensor and guage gave the same readings.

I dont believe i have any obstructions. It is raw water cooled but i have a fiine mesh strainer and did an acid flush last year at the end of the season.
Could this be related to the thermostat? If so, would the thermostat be opening prematurely or not at all?

Last issue but this is unresolved from last year....my oil pressure starts off around 50psi and then as i throttle up the oil pressure increases to the top of my gauge (around 80 psi). both gauge and sensor are new and the old ones gave the same readings. Is this normal. What is the safe operating max and min oil pressure? I have tried taking out the ball and spring and doing some adjustments but the motor seems unresponcive to the oil pressure screw.

Thanks for all your help. Hoping to go in the water this afternoon!

N