X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sootydan
    • Jun 2012

Prop Shaft forCal 2-30 Atomic 4

I want to replace my prop shaft on my Cal 2-30 /Atomic 4 I'm replacing the cutless bearing and installing a PSS shaft seal. Removing the prop shaft looks like I'll have problems with the rear coupling on the A4 and I do not want those problems. I know the methods of getting the prop shaft loose from the coupling etc but would rather spend the money for a new shaft. Very limited space to work in the engine compartment..like a one handed operation lol. Anyone know where to buy a new prop shaft? thanks
  • CalebD
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

H&H specializes in the customization and repair of all marine driveline components across recreational, commercial and government vessels.

Never used them. Google found them for me.
    Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
    A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• dvd
      • Dec 2008

Sooty,

I had one done by my local machine shop. Just get it out and take it to them and say I want one of these. Shouldn't run more that 3 to 400 dollars maybe less.

dvd

Comment

• Hymodyne
        • Feb 2013

Mc Master Carr?

Their website shows some stainless that is marine grade

James

Comment

• Sootydan
          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by CalebD View Post
          http://www.hhprop.com/

Never used them. Google found them for me.
          Thanks Caleb, looks good

Comment

• Mo
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2007

Neil Dutton will probably chime in later this evening...he has a C30 and might be able to give you some insight. He is a great resource as well as the guys who have answered up to now.
            Mo

"Odyssey"
            1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
            The optimist expects it to change.
            The realist adjusts the sails.
            ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Well, there's a difference between a Cal 2-30 and a Catalina 30 but a prop shaft is a prop shaft. Diameter, length, material, that's about it.

It's probably best if you can find a local source to save shipping. One of the popular shops in our area is Wilmington Iron Works but they're a little too proud of their product for my taste.

There have been many discussions about a proper fit between the shaft and the coupler, that it should be left to the shop to get it right. I would never advise otherwise BUT it's my preference to have the fit looser than most. Someday I'd like to get the shaft out of the coupler without destroying it or the engine's output flange. I used to dress the inboard shaft ends by hand but a lathe is the right way to go to keep things concentric.

I need a shop who will make the fit to my liking rather than theirs.

Thanks for the compliment Mo, the check is in the mail.
              Last edited by ndutton; 03-30-2013, 10:41 PM.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California
              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• william baker
                • Jul 2012

drive shaft replacement producer

I had my shaft replaced by a company relatively near to me in Charleston S.C. They specialize in these type of things up and down the eastern seaboard and do all seizes of props and shafts. I'll have to look them up again for contact info.

Comment

• Al Schober
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Jul 2009

Recommend you specify Aquamet 22 for your new shaft. It's a duplex stainless alloy, sometimes also known as Nitronic 50. Same stuff that Navtec uses for the rod rigging.

Comment

Working...
                  X