• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe Miller
    • Jun 2018

exhaust

Hello All,

In removing my exhaust and manifold several of the studs are damaged. Can I replace with bolts. I know Moyer sells studs but to get them takes more than 2 weeks along with $35 shipping for something I can buy at home.

thanks,

Joe
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Originally posted by Joe Miller View Post
    takes more than 2 weeks along with $35 shipping for something I can buy at home
    Did this information come from Ken in parts? Did you actually talk to him?
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Originally posted by Joe Miller View Post
      Hello All,

In removing my exhaust and manifold several of the studs are damaged. Can I replace with bolts. I know Moyer sells studs but to get them takes more than 2 weeks along with $35 shipping for something I can buy at home.

thanks,

Joe
      NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Studs screw into the engine block not under tension and then the nuts tension them without turning them at the same time.
      I did what you are proposing as a get-home fix and ended up ripping up the threads in the block. Turned a minor repair into a major one
      Any decent hardware store or auto parts store should have these studs, they are not specific to Atomic 4s.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• Joe Miller
        • Jun 2018

hello,

thanks for the reply's.

Neil, I just received an order from Ken that took 2 weeks and cost $35 US to ship. it was the Canada Post and Border Services where the slow down occurred. Product arrived in Canada on the 6th of September and I received it last night.

Joe

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

At least in the USA these studs are commonly available at local stores. Do NOT use bolts.
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Consider that as you search locally for grade 8 studs of the proper diameter, thread pitch and length (if I recall, they're 3/8-16 on one end, 3/8-24 on the other and roughly 3 5/8" overall length), time continues to tick away. It will be interesting to see if you can put your hands on a satisfactory substitute within the two weeks it might have taken had you ordered them from our host at the start.

Please keep us updated with your progress.
            Last edited by ndutton; 09-19-2018, 05:31 PM.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• sdemore
              • Nov 2016

Two cents when you do this (from a personal learning experience). Whatever you decide to do for studs, make sure you but the nuts from Moyer or equivalent ones from a specialty fastener store. The nuts are heavier duty than normal nuts and you need the extra holding power they provide.
              Steve Demore
              S/V Doin' It Right
              Pasadena, MD
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X