X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LastLeg
    • Sep 2005

Looking for Exhaust Advice

Please see the picture of my exhaust, as you can see I have a high temperature radiator hose attached directly to the manifold. I believe this is inadequate and will overheat after 60 minutes or so. I placed this there temporarily while I worked on the engine.

Although I have a threaded connection on the manifold side I am limited to attaching a hose since I do not have threads on the pipe side.

Any recommendations? Thanks for your help.
    Attached Files
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

That looks like one of the old time copper with jacket style systems. They were wonderful but yours is broken and probably beyond repair unless there is enough metal left to braze a new connection to the system and the flange. You might have to design a new system from black iron pipe with a riser. That hose will be melted in about ten minutes.

Comment

• CalebD
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

You are going to need threads on the pipe side to accept black or galv. pipe for this section. Can you tap new threads into the pipe side?
      There are threads somewhere here where people have re-built this hot section of the exhaust explain what standard size piping you can get at home depot etc. just for this purpose.
      Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
      A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• Al Schober
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2009

Perhaps you could braze a flange to the pipe section? Then the new intermediate piece would have a flange on both ends.

Comment

• romantic comedy
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2007

If you can get the wet, jacket section out, you can get a coupling brazed to it. Then work back to the engine with pipe. That assumes that it is in good enough shape.

If it is shot, then you will be making a new exhaust with pipe, and adding a water lift, as far as I can see.

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

If the water jacketed section is intact, determined by a modest pressure test on the jacket portion, I think you could salvage the system with something like this:

You did not indicate how it was connected originally, just the temporary rig. I bet it was something similar.

I would definitely add an antisiphon loop between the manifold water outlet and the waterjacket inlet.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• LastLeg
              • Sep 2005

Thanks for the responses, I pulled out the old manifold and found that it is made of copper. At this point since the flange on the manifold is rotted and I am unable to remove it, I will change the entire pipe with black pipe, I would create a riser that will go as high. I am confused with the current design. I see there is a water bypass also at the top. Should I conform to this design.
              Attached Files

Comment

• LastLeg
                • Sep 2005

As you can see the flange (black steel) is almost completely broken off. I know very little about metal. Would it be possible to have someone weld a threaded black pipe coupling on this?
                Attached Files

Comment

• Whippet
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2012

reference material

Hi

i recently re-did mine with galvanized bits from plumbing store, official marine wet exhaust hose, and Moyer's anti-siphon valve for water exhaust.

here is one reference that seemed thoughtful. also Moyer A4 manual has a few sketches of typical design.

sorry i cant help on how to get around the broken bit, but the above might be helpful for the rest.
                  Steve
                  Etobicoke YC, C&C27
                  A4 #204381, 1980

Comment

• Mo
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
                    That looks like one of the old time copper with jacket style systems. They were wonderful but yours is broken and probably beyond repair unless there is enough metal left to braze a new connection to the system and the flange. You might have to design a new system from black iron pipe with a riser. That hose will be melted in about ten minutes.
                    FWIW I would just go ahead and build a new one from black iron. Good for about 7 yrs minimum and won't take long to source and complete.
                    Mo

"Odyssey"
                    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                    The optimist expects it to change.
                    The realist adjusts the sails.
                    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• LastLeg
                      • Sep 2005

I agree with your input, I am going to piece together my own exhaust. In my prior configuration I noticed that the water hose exiting the manifold joined the exhaust pipe prior to the lift, based on what I see this should join after the lift.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Mar 2010

Don't give up yet!

Originally posted by LastLeg View Post
                        I agree with your input, I am going to piece together my own exhaust. In my prior configuration I noticed that the water hose exiting the manifold joined the exhaust pipe prior to the lift, based on what I see this should join after the lift.
                        Before abandoning that copper system I would make every effort to save it. It looks to me that with care that broken threaded piece of iron can be gotten out of that tube. The copper jacketed system is far superior in performance to the water lift with riser hot section system. It is worth it to make the effort to save that system.

Comment

• LastLeg
                          • Sep 2005

thanks for the response, but how can I remove that broken piece, should I just sledge it out. I know the back steel is somewhat brittle.

Comment

• CalebD
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2007

I'll probably be laughed at for this but ...

To remove the pipe remaining:
                            - clamp the piece securely and safely
                            - get hold of a Sawzall with a few new metal blades
                            - have at it while trying not to cut into the copper
                            - peel out a strip and pry out
                            - curl the rest in as you would an old cutless bearing
                            - remove

It probably won't be that easy though.

Good luck.
                            Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
                            A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• LastLeg
                              • Sep 2005

Well I have a Sawzall and plenty of new metal cutting blades. Not sure how effective they will be on the black pipe but will have at it since I really have nothing to lose. I do envision destroying the threaded section of the copper housing where the new pipe would screw in.

I was thinking that perhaps if I heat it with a torch and try to unscrew it with the pipe wrench it just might give although it appears to be really rusted in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X