X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vtbob
    • Jun 2018

noise when shifting into foward

I've owned my 1976 sabre for two years . Its been running pretty good since I replaced the water pump, carburetor, oil pressure regulating valve and did a tune up.when I shift into forward the transmission makes a noise like gears meshing or just touching. this lasts for a few seconds then stops.it doesn't seem to effect the performance.in the moyers Manuel it talks about a grinding caused by the cone bearing. should I be worried?
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Originally posted by vtbob View Post
    . . . . transmission makes a noise like gears meshing or just touching. This lasts for a few seconds then stops. It doesn't seem to effect the performance. In the Moyer manual it talks about a grinding caused by the cone bearing. Should I be worried?
    I would, odd noises are never a good thing.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• vtbob
      • Jun 2018

thanks, I'm not sure what else to check. The shifting lever is all the way forward and the fingers are in the détente. every thing turns easy when in neutral and its not slipping when in gear. Its made the noise since I've had the boat and it doesn't seem to be getting worse knock on wood.

Comment

• quiesence65
        • May 2013

My boat does the "Exact" same thing! The throttle setting must be completely down, and I have to move the shift handle "slowly" into gear....and it shifts with the noise you describe. It has always done this...so I guess it is OK....reverse is fine!

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

So what is the strategy here, get after it or let it be until . . . . ?
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Don Moyer
            • Oct 2004

Noise when shifting into forward

vtbob,

While at idle, please move your shifting lever slowly from the reverse side of neutral toward forward. You don't have to go all the way into the forward detent before you'll be pressing against the "throw-out" bearing on the end of the operating cone. If that's where you're hearing your grinding sound, it would be very strong evidence that it's your throw-out bearing that's making the sound. This would not be a good situation. While it's true that the throw-out bearing can take quite some time to fail completely (maybe even a year or more), when it does it will usually fail catastrophically; meaning that you'll completely lose the ability to shift into forward, and the bearing will impart lots of small metal debris directly into the oil pan and oil system. Don

Comment

• Grant
              • Aug 2016

Don, since my engine is out of the boat and I dont know much about its history (other than life was always on Great Lakes) , would it be a good idea to change the throw out bearings before installing the engine? Are they a common problem? I suspect that doing it on the cart in the garage would be much easier than in the bilge in some out of the way place. Thanks_____Grant.

Comment

• Don Moyer
                • Oct 2004

Throw-out bearing

Grant,

Changing a throw-out bearing requires removal of the aft housing and reversing gear cage assembly, and then taking the gear cage almost completely apart to get to the throw-out bearing. Fortunately, throw-out bearings have a very low failure rate, so absent clear evidence that the throw-out bearing is starting to fail, I wouldn't consider it a reasonable preventative maintenance item. Don

Comment

• vtbob
                  • Jun 2018

Don thanks for your reply. I will be going out to the boat this weekend. I know it doesn't make the noise when its partially in gear [the props turning but not in the detent] once its in the detent it makes a clicking sound for a few seconds.

Comment

• Grant
                    • Aug 2016

Thanks Don. I am willing to do work but if it is not needed then I am happy. Grant.

Comment

• vtbob
                      • Jun 2018

went to the boat this afternoon took Dons advice went slowly from reverse to forward I didn't hear any grinding. when the fingers drop into the detent there's a clicking sound for a few seconds. So hopefully I wont need a throw out bearing.

Comment

Working...
                      X