X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edwardc
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2009

To me, this sure sounds like the classic "fried coil" symptoms.
    @(^.^)@ Ed
    1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
    with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

So it does.

What is the fuel pressure reading when it dies?

* have we moved officially to antique support now
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• Administrator
        MMI Webmaster
        • Oct 2004

After hatching this forum, we toyed with the idea of a companion forum (and maybe even parts) for Palmers, but it didn't seem the population of engines was sufficient to make it worth the effort.

We have entertained questions from Palmer folks over the years, though.

Bill

Comment

• AFisch
          • Sep 2019

Edward C and joe_db:

Thanks for chiming in...I'll look up fried coil (learning as I go)...

And I do not have a fuel pressure gauge unfortunately. I checked the flow from the fuel pump and seemed good and strong, but I do realized that under load will consume more fuel than in Neutral...this problem happens even when left in neutral. (If that helps at all)

Comment

• AFisch
            • Sep 2019

Sorry...one other thing to note, (all assumptions here, and you know the saying)..when the engine sits for a bit...I am assuming fuel is settling or building up somewhere and therefore when I fire her up, she runs great until that fuel is used up...try to re-start after she dies and no luck. Trying to turn over, but not getting fuel anymore. I have replaced all fuel lines and filters leading to the carb, but have not dug into the carb yet (partly lack of knowledge, part accessibility and part having my kids with me who have short attention span).

Comment

• Administrator
              MMI Webmaster
              • Oct 2004

It takes a bit of nerve to post this, in light of a post in a different thread, but try cracking the cap on the deck fill to see if you're fighting a vacuum. If not, I owe you 15 seconds of free air time.

Having said that, I likewise am suspicious of a cooked coil. What does a spritz of starting fluid accomplish immediately after the stall?

Bill
              Last edited by Administrator; 09-25-2019, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• AFisch
                • Sep 2019

Hummm....Interesting...so your theory here is that a vacuum is being created preventing the fuel from even being pumped out...That will be the first thing I try next, too easy not too...

If that were the case, then I assume there must be a vent for the fuel tank somewhere that is plugged up? I was not aware (and they may not) that a fuel tank would be ventilated.

Worth a try anyways.

I have not tried starter fluid.

Comment

• Administrator
                  MMI Webmaster
                  • Oct 2004

Hi, Adam:

If you haven't already done so, check out this thread. Read the whole thing.

As others have suggested, a fuel pressure gauge will provide very meaningful data.

Bill

Comment

• AFisch
                    • Sep 2019

Thank you....so many threads, hard to know where to start!

I plan to update all my gauges...my temp gauge crapped out on our first long trip to Catalina a couple of years ago, but I use my hand to check the temp of the water coming out...not ideal but gives me piece of mind...so a full gauge overhaul is over due and needed.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                      • Jan 2007

A Fisch, installing a cheap fuel filter will answer questions now and in future diagnostics.

10 minutes of running then dying only to restart after sitting for a bit is a classic spark (coil) issue. 3-5 minutes could be fuel running out in the bowl (pressure gage) but it should start once filled again.

Checking for spark immediately after the shut down is a must.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• AFisch
                        • Sep 2019

Thanks Dave Neptune...

I have replaced all fuel filters...cheap one before the fuel pump, racor fuel filter/water separator after fuel pump...

I will still try opening the fuel cap on the deck as that is easy to do...but sounds like everyone is leaning towards the coil being the culprit.

I am not really sure how to check spark after she shuts down, so I'll have to do a little youtubing to figure that out.

I wish I could find a Palmer manual somewhere too, but I'll I've found is just a cover shot.

I appreciate everyones input!

Adam

Comment

• Administrator
                          MMI Webmaster
                          • Oct 2004

I have replaced all fuel filters...cheap one before the fuel pump, racor fuel filter/water separator after fuel pump...
                          The Racor should be upstream of the fuel pump (meaning between the fuel tank and the fuel pump). The small metal polishing filter should be between the fuel pump and the carb, as shown here.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding "before" and "after"?

Bill
                          Last edited by Administrator; 09-26-2019, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• AFisch
                            • Sep 2019

Originally posted by Administrator View Post
                            The Racor should be upstream of the fuel pump. The small metal polishing filter should be between the fuel pump and the carb.

Bill
                            Oh really?? I will change that around then...this is all set up from previous owner...would it just be to hep preserve the life of the fuel pump?

Comment

• AFisch
                              • Sep 2019

Originally posted by Administrator View Post
                              The Racor should be upstream of the fuel pump. The small metal polishing filter should be between the fuel pump and the carb, as shown here.

Bill
                              Oh, and also...I do not have that small metal polishing filter...I'll snap a pic this weekend and show my current set up. But currently I have a small plastic Marine fuel filter running before the fuel pump, and then the racor after and that is it...

Comment

• Administrator
                                MMI Webmaster
                                • Oct 2004

Having that small polishing filter be the first to see fuel from the tank is a recipe for trouble, as it can quickly clog.

The fact that it is plastic is a second "recipe."

Does the Racor have an element which looks like an oil filter?

Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X