• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • romantic comedy
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

supercharger-home made....

I have a little collection of antique outboard motors. Like everything there is a club, Antique Outboard Motor Club (AOMCI). They have an active FB group too.

I found this article in one of their magazines from 1988. It is a copy of a 1931 article that shows you how to build your own supercharger for your outboard.

I just present it here for any motor heads that might find it interesting. Could you imagine building this?

this may take some effort uploading....It is 4 scans.
    Attached Files
  • GregH
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2015

Don't think I have room for that on top of my A-4!
    Greg
    1975 Alberg 30
    sigpic

Comment

• CajunSpike
      • Jan 2018

hmm.....i have a left over small turbo from a vw project...........

Actually though, since the water and exhaust are mixed in the exhaust manifold before it leaves the block, there is no source of straight hot gas to pass thru the turbo.
      darn...

Then again, maybe I could remove the hot side turbo cover and hook a 12v motor to it so it spins!
      Last edited by CajunSpike; 10-12-2018, 09:19 AM.
      Bill L.
      1972 Ericson 27
      Hull #61
      Atomic 4

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

I'd be cautious doing this on an engine with no center main crankshaft bearing. Cranks ain't cheap and neither is their repair.
        Last edited by ndutton; 10-12-2018, 09:37 AM.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Originally posted by CajunSpike View Post
          hmm.....i have a left over small turbo from a vw project...........

Actually though, since the water and exhaust are mixed in the exhaust manifold before it leaves the block, there is no source of straight hot gas to pass thru the turbo.
          darn...

Then again, maybe I could remove the hot side turbo cover and hook a 12v motor to it so it spins!
          ???
          The A4 manifold does not mix water and exhaust. If it is doing that, it needs fixing!
          A turbo A4 might be a challenge. Do to the prop issues, you are going to be running high cylinder pressures at low RPM. This is bad for detonation and hard on the crank. I would think at best you might get 10 more HP before you broke something. Remember you would be pushing from 20 up to 30 at 2500 RPM and using a course pitch prop.
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• CajunSpike
            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
            ???
            The A4 manifold does not mix water and exhaust. If it is doing that, it needs fixing!
            duh....yep...the water and exhaust mix further down the pipe.
            I stand corrected.

Been a while since I had my head in the motor compartment due to all the heat.

I saw a video on utube about cobbling leaf blowers together for a motor....and my mind wandered.....
            Last edited by CajunSpike; 10-12-2018, 02:21 PM.
            Bill L.
            1972 Ericson 27
            Hull #61
            Atomic 4

Comment

• lat 64
              Afourian MVP
              • Oct 2008

It's really a belt-driven blower, not a turbo charger as we see common on so many hot little VW TDIs.

The concept looks fun to try on a lawn mower though.

Imagine this: a similar belt driven blower to vent engine-room gasses.

And how about that brave young woman on the... is it an SUP? Or a wake board? Or a PWC? Or, just and old door? Whatever, that looks both dangerous and FUN!
              sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• romantic comedy
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2007

I just thought it was interesting. I was not suggesting anyone actually build it. If I had enough time I might give it a try just for fun. But that will never happen until someone else maintains my boats, house, camper and cars.

It seems like mechanics were different years ago. I have seen many things like this is the old magazines.

Just think what would happen when it self destructed...

Comment

Working...
                X