X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jkaiser77
    • Jun 2016

Painting the Engine

Random question to better understand my A4...

I'm currently overhauling my A4 and painting the dissembled cast iron parts.

I've masked all areas where there will be gaskets to keep them paint-free. But what keeps these gasket areas from rusting? All the metal on the outside wants to rust instantly unless there's paint on it. And the interior will ultimately have oil sloshing around to protect it. But what keeps the gasket areas from rusting?
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

The gasket surfaces won't rust enough during painting to worry about. The bit of color of the rust will pretty much just wipe off. These are hi nickel castings so rust is at a minimum for cast iron.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• jkaiser77
      • Jun 2016

Thanks, Dave. I'm wondering because an exterior section of my oil pan developed a bit of a rust bloom (where the machine shop that cleaned it forgot to put anti-rust grease on). I angle-grinded the rust off, but it started coming back within a day or two. I angle grinded again, then immediately put Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer on.

I was worried that once I remove the anti-rust grease from the gasket surfaces they'd also start to rust. But sounds like I don't have to worry about that.

Comment

• sdemore
        • Nov 2016

I've applied a light coating of Vaseline if it was going to be sitting a while. Keeps it from rusting and won't harm the gasket seal. Once it is assembled, the gasket will seal out the air and with no air, there is no rust.
        Steve Demore
        S/V Doin' It Right
        Pasadena, MD
        sigpic

Comment

• wristwister
          • Nov 2013

When I rebuilt an A4 for my daughter's boat, I was advised to do all the assembly first, including all covers, then paint the whole thing. This makes good sense, as all those edges get completely sealed with paint.

But ... my daughter had another paint scheme in mind so I painted covers and accessories separately. Hope we don't have seal/corrosion issues down the road.

"A ship in the harbor is safe ... but that's not what ships are built for.

Comment

• southcoasting
            • Nov 2011

Originally posted by wristwister View Post
            When I rebuilt an A4 for my daughter's boat, I was advised to do all the assembly first, including all covers, then paint the whole thing. This makes good sense, as all those edges get completely sealed with paint.

But ... my daughter had another paint scheme in mind so I painted covers and accessories separately. Hope we don't have seal/corrosion issues down the road.

Wow...definitely a daughter's engine! Looks mint though!
            1971 Tartan 34C Sloop "NOVA LUNA", Rebuilt (2019) Fresh Water Cooled A4 (Bought boat in 2014)
            1968 Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada", rebuilt Old Lyme freshwater A4 (Sold boat in 2014)

Comment

• edwardc
              Afourian MVP
              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by southcoasting View Post
              ... Looks mint though!
              I would say more mint and bubblegum,
              @(^.^)@ Ed
              1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
              with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• wristwister
                • Nov 2013

Here's my daughter sailing her boat:

"A ship in the harbor is safe ... but that's not what ships are built for.

Comment

• sdemore
                  • Nov 2016

Almost a shame to put that beautiful thing in a boat bilge.
                  Steve Demore
                  S/V Doin' It Right
                  Pasadena, MD
                  sigpic

Comment

• southcoasting
                    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by wristwister View Post
                    Here's my daughter sailing her boat:

LOL! At least your daughter is sailing and you got to rebuild an A4 for her to her paint specs! That is a triple crown fatherhood win in my books!
                    1971 Tartan 34C Sloop "NOVA LUNA", Rebuilt (2019) Fresh Water Cooled A4 (Bought boat in 2014)
                    1968 Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada", rebuilt Old Lyme freshwater A4 (Sold boat in 2014)

Comment

Working...
                    X