Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SailingReckless
    • Oct 2018

I have been torquing according to the pattern. I’ve checked the head for warping and if it’s warped at all it would have to be extremely extremely slight. I did just notice a new issue though. I have the head off and looking it over....there is a hole from one of the stud holes that goes thru to the nearest water hole. That stud stripped out when I was last torquing. (I’ve done a bit of work since I last posted on here. YouTube Sailing Reckless if you’re interested) Anyway before I go on to any other jobs I need to figure out what to do with this. Is it something that is ok? Did the stud eventually get soft because of the water penetration into its hole? There aren’t any cracks that I can see anywhere, just that one hole.

Comment

• Al Schober
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2009

SR,
      If you check further, I think you'll find that most (if not all) of the studs in the block go into the water passage. They should all be sealed. And yes, the studs will corrode with time. The studs are just carbon steel while the block is a nickel iron alloy.
      As to that hole that has water coming from it, don't be surprised. It's a water cooled engine and the water has to get from the block to the head.
      However, don't be surprised if all the holes in the block don't correspond to holes in the head. And the 'blind' holes may or may not have a corresponding hole in the head gasket. However wherever the block and the head have aligning holes, the gasket should also have a hole. These holes must be clear of deposits.
      Pay particular attention to the elongated holes by the valves. These passages DO tend to clog and must be chipped out. In doing this, wear safety glasses with side shields (full face shield better) and note that the passage doesn't go straight down - it goes down a bit, then horizontal, then down into the water jacket.

Comment

Working...
      X