Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Cooling System

#1   IP: 66.248.99.140
Old 04-24-2005, 07:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

Keep New impeller as spare, or replace?

I have a 1976 Ericson 29 with the original A-4. With some help from you in the past and this web site I have it running smoothly and it has been reliable. Now I'm about to purchase a spare impeller for the Oberdorfer 202M7 raw water pump. I want to have it aboard while we are crusing this summer incase the existing one fails. I took the existing pump off to make sure I knew how to do it (and read some instructions you gave others here on removal and replacement, thank you). The old impeller is still very flexible, and free of cracks and defects. Here is my question. Should I replace the old with new and keep the old impeller as the "spare" on board, or should I just keep the older one running and keep the new one as the spare? I think I run the engine less tnan 60 hours per year.
  #2   IP: 38.118.52.76
Old 04-25-2005, 08:58 AM

Jim,

I think I'd install the new impeller and save the old one for a spare.

It only happens several times each year, but in the case of pumps with a large number of operating hours, the internal dimension of the impeller chamber can wear to the point that a new impeller simply will not work, where an old one (enlarged a bit by years of being in water) will still work.

Not knowing how many operating hours your pump may have, it seems to me that it would be better to know that the new impeller will work - or not - before you have to depend on it in some future situation.

Regards,

Don
  #3   IP: 66.93.148.194
Old 10-26-2007, 08:26 PM
duncan59

Ericson 29!

Hey guys, I just wanted to say Hi as I too have an Ericson 29 and you are the first folks I have seen on this forum with the same boat and engine as myself. Feel free to confer if you have any challenging situations as I am most definitely learning to become the mechanic I never was before.
And don't feel you have to limit your conversation to A4 talk. If there is something else you want to discuss its always good to exchange ideas.

Hope you are having a good year's sailing

Duncan
(living in Santa Barbara California, with my boat in Channel Islands Marina, Oxnard).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjuliem View Post
I have a 1976 Ericson 29 with the original A-4. With some help from you in the past and this web site I have it running smoothly and it has been reliable. Now I'm about to purchase a spare impeller for the Oberdorfer 202M7 raw water pump. I want to have it aboard while we are crusing this summer incase the existing one fails. I took the existing pump off to make sure I knew how to do it (and read some instructions you gave others here on removal and replacement, thank you). The old impeller is still very flexible, and free of cracks and defects. Here is my question. Should I replace the old with new and keep the old impeller as the "spare" on board, or should I just keep the older one running and keep the new one as the spare? I think I run the engine less tnan 60 hours per year.