X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Smuggli
    • Jul 2014

New Carb - Throttle Cable Conundrum

I just finished installing a new carburetor from MMI on my early model A4. Got all the bits from Ken needed to make this work. I’m replacing an old style carburetor with a new one. My only problem is the throttle cable attachment. The old carb had an adjustable arm which was set forward to allow the cable assembly to travel more forward than the new carb arm allows.

The obvious answer is to simply re-mount the cable to accommodate the difference. However, there are two issues, one, it’s not possible for me to remove the bracket without unscrewing the large bolt on the rear of the engine. Which I am afraid to do lest I create a new series of problems.

But more importantly, even if I could adjust the cable mounting scheme, the connection at the end of the throttle cable would then be in direct contact and rub against the rubber fuel hose connecting the “U” shaped tube from the fuel pump (electric) to the carb.

I am at a loss as to why the new style carburetors do not have the arm adjusting nut. That would make this a 3 minute fix. Instead I am dead in the water. Am I missing something?

Is there an adjustment for the new carb arm angle that I am missing?
    Scott
    Last edited by Smuggli; 03-07-2019, 11:54 AM.
  • Smuggli
    • Jul 2014

Adjust cable I guess

Talked with Don. Removed the mounting bracket and attempted to attach cable back further. I’m still an inch too long on the end of the throttle cable and have no more room on the bracket. So I’m trying to decide what to do next. Have a longer bracket machined for me? Or do I buy a new throttle cable. I have a Edson wheel / pedestal steering so that’s a whole new nightmare.

It’s costing me $70 a day to stay here. So I’d like to get moving. Been stuck a month with engine problems. The missus is getting ready to hop a plane to anywhere else.

I’m open to any ideas. Thanks!

Scott Muggli
    S/V Anna Rita

Comment

• Don Moyer
      • Oct 2004

Throttle cabe bracket

Scott, Ken may have reached you by this time, but he's sending you a photo of our throttle bracket, which is an aftermarket copy of the one Universal sold in their later years. It attaches under the two uppermost 1/2" hex-headed bolts on the aft housing. If you have access to that neighborhood of your engine it would be a good solution for you. The product number in our catalog is: OBLK_18_177

Here's a link: https://moyermarine.com/product/thro...s-oblk_18_177/

Comment

• Smuggli
        • Jul 2014

Bracket

Well that might be the ticket. I’ll call Ken and get the measurements. Otherwise, I think I can fashion an extender plate to the existing bracket. Thank you for your help.

Comment

• Smuggli
          • Jul 2014

Solved

I was able to fashion a bracket extension plate and drilled some holes and bolted it to the existing bracket. Got everything connected and she’s running smoother than ever. I think I had misaligned the alternator belt and had it tensioned too tight and that was the source of the clacking. The new 55amp alternator is doing its job.

I also suspect the old carburetor had a hairline crack somewhere inside, which would explain a lot. Probably from winters in Northern WI. Anyway, all appears to be working. I think we’re back in business.

Thanks Don for setting me off in the right direction.

Scott Muggli
          S/V Anna Rita
          Alberg 35

Comment

Working...
          X