X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blhickson
    • Nov 2012

Starter removal & a novice question

When I was (trying to) remove the starter, I was able to remove what looks like the two mounting bolts, but the starter wouldn't budge and it looks like an integral part of the engine block. It may just be painted so it looks that way, I don't know. Is the starter something I'm going to have to use a pry bar or rubber hammer to get off? Is there anything there that I need to be careful about so it does not break? I'm trying to get it off to get it tested.
    I got the solenoid off and the spring and plunger/can thing was there just hanging off of its arm that clearly goes up into the netherland of engineworld. (and these are technical terms so if definitions are in order, we'll have to find Ken or somebody). The guy at the armature said he wasn't sure if they could test the solenoid without the starter so this is why I'm asking about starter removal.
    Now the novice question: what is happening to the starter to make it "die" when you repeatedly try to start the engine and its not catching? I'm having a starting issue that began after I rebuilt the carb. The choke is adjusted and once started, it runs fine. It just takes several tries to get the engine to catch and I'm concerned about the starter. Some history: the alternator had a bad voltage regulator but that has been replaced and the batteries (new in March) should be charging well.
    Any help appreciated. Thanks.
    Barbara L. Hickson
    Flight Risk
    C&C 33-1
    Chas., SC
  • 67c&ccorv
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

You must have a late model engine with Delco starter - it's probably rusted solid on the mounting surface.

A few sharp blows using a machinists hammer against a piece of hardwood (to protect the starter case from damage) in the direction it will come off the engine should do the trick.

Be prepared to catch it when it comes off - it is pretty heavy.

Comment

• Al Schober
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2009

Last starter problem I had was due to the brushes and their rigging. The brushes slide in slots and are held against the commutator by springs. In my case, the brushes were worn and the dust had gotten into the slots. Also, one of the springs was cracked and the commutator needed cleaning.
      As for the solenoid, it has two functions. First it pulls the starter gear into engagement with the flywheel. Second, it makes the electrical contact to the starter. This contact is made by pressing a copper/brass disc against the two fixed contacts - one goes to the battery cable and the other goes to the starter. These contact points degrade due to arcing, but can be cleaned up. A file will do the fixed contacts, while the disc can just be turned over.

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Whack it with a rubber mallet. Two bolts and it is off.
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• blhickson
          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
          Whack it with a rubber mallet. Two bolts and it is off.
          Yep you were right. Two whacks with rubber mallet and it came off. Needed a new starter which was provided from Masco rebuilt locally (no shipping) at $164. So excited but a bit daunted to put the beast back on! Wish me luck!
          Barbara L. Hickson
          Flight Risk
          C&C 33-1
          Chas., SC

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Originally posted by blhickson View Post
            So excited but a bit daunted to put the beast back on! Wish me luck!
            Nah, nuthin' to it. Two bolts and two wires. DONE!!
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Al Schober
              Afourian MVP
              • Jul 2009

You may want to have a shop go over the old one, wrap it in bubble wrap, then vacuum seal it in a bag. Keep it for a spare.
              My engine is to port, so I keep the spares to stbd. Pretty soon the boat will sit level (grin).

Comment

• lat 64
                Afourian MVP
                • Oct 2008

Do not eat

Originally posted by Al Schober View Post
                You may want to have a shop go over the old one, wrap it in bubble wrap, then vacuum seal it in a bag. Keep it for a spare.
                My engine is to port, so I keep the spares to stbd. Pretty soon the boat will sit level (grin).
                I save all those little packets of desiccant from things I buy. I put them in with my camera in a plastic bag when I get near any water. If you keep stuff like spare electronics or motors on the boat, maybe they could help?

Russ
                sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• sastanley
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2008

lat 64...me too. i put them in my small electronics bags, and my nice (but not waterproof) binocs bag.
                  -Shawn
                  "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                  "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X