Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Maintenance
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

#1   IP: 206.181.246.34
Old 10-25-2007, 12:58 PM

Winterization Confusion and Questions

In Moyer's Winterizing your Atomic 4 (also in the book), it suggests draining the oil and adding a quart or two (as needed) of Marvel Mystery Oil. But in Marvel Mystery Oil, he seems to suggest just the opposite. I'm a bit confused by this.

Also: The spring launch chapter in the book mentions nothing about pumping the MMO back out before topping-up the oil level. Was that an oversight, or on-purpose?

Next: The coolant system recommendation talks about having to remove the thermostat and squeeze-off the bypass hose in raw-water-cooled installations. Would it also work to have the engine up to full operating temperature and squeeze-off the bypass hose? Or is that too iffy? (E.g.: No guarantee the thermostat's actually open?) If I have to temporarily remove the thermostat, is there a gasket that's going to need replacement?

He mentions "the two drain plugs behind the starter and alternator." I haven't looked at that side of the engine, yet, but the picture in the manual points-out only one. Then he mentions the one "in the rear of the exhaust/intake manifold." Are these all readily identifiable?

I thought the book also recommended replacing these plugs. The web page does not. But both list them in the "Needed materials" section. Do I need to replace these? Where do I get them from? I note MMI lists "Product No. - BRSS_05_434 - Brass pipe plug 3/8 inch," but no "7/16 inch hex-headed brass 1/8 inch pipe plugs" that I've been able to find.

Note to MMI: The book's text on winterization does not mention re-installing the plugs after removing them before moving on to drawing the redpop through the engine. A reasonable person would probably figure this out for themselves. But somebody that believes in following instructions exactly might be in for a bit of a surprise.

Lastly: A fellow club member suggested something other than MMO for the cylinders... can't recall now what he called it... something like "dispersing oil?" Apparently it's sprayed into the cylinders?

I think that about covers it.

TIA,
Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 10-25-2007 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Added a couple more questions and a caution about the book
  #2   IP: 89.251.61.34
Old 10-26-2007, 05:10 AM
Afourian MVP

Jim,

On the page you link to in your message I believe the text comes from the service manual. If so, reinstalling the drain plugs is indicated here:

Quote:
Step 2: Remove the two drain plugs in the side of the block behind the starter and alternator, and the single plug in the rear of the exhaust/intake manifold. If crud has settled out behind any of these plugs, it's best to take a wire and open up the area behind the plug holes so as to reestablish drainage. Reinstall drain plugs.
As for changing a gasket if you remove the thermostat, it would depend on the model of the thermostat. On my older Dole thermostat, I can remove the mechanism without having to worry about gaskets (it's located in the 'plumbing' style body of the thermostat housing). However, the newer model thermostats under the bell housing on the front of the head do have a gasket that may be damaged when you remove the thermostat. I guess it depends on whether or not the gasket is "sticky" when you remove the housing.

Here are two pictures showing the location of the drain plugs...

Kelly
Attached Images

#3   IP: 206.181.246.34
Old 10-26-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Jim,

On the page you link to in your message I believe the text comes from the service manual. If so, reinstalling the drain plugs is indicated here:
I know it's on the web page. But it's not in the manual. (I called up my wife and had her read me the paragraph to make certain.)

Quote:
... the newer model thermostats under the bell housing on the front of the head do have a gasket that may be damaged when you remove the thermostat. I guess it depends on whether or not the gasket is "sticky" when you remove the housing.
Hmmm... finding out w/o having a spare gasket on-hand would probably be non-optimal, so I suppose I should at least order one or two of those.

OTOH: Talked to the PO yesterday afternoon. He's always just run the engine up to temp, shut 'er down, shut off the thru-hull, moved the intake hose to a bucket of purple stuff, and fired 'er back up until the purple stuff came out the exhaust.

Quote:
Here are two pictures showing the location of the drain plugs...
Thanks.

The PO said "I took care of those." When I asked him what he meant by that, he told me he installed petcocks, and he just opens them up after he's flushed the system with purple stuff and he's not going to run the engine anymore.

He cautioned: "But be sure to remember to close them in the spring. I forgot to do that one spring, and was wondering where all the water was coming from."

Jim