Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Drive Train / Propellers

#1   IP: 199.66.171.157
Old 11-08-2019, 01:31 PM
Frequent Contributor

Looking for a prop shaft coupling puller

Hello all!

My Cal 2-27 needs a new shaft log hose. The only way to replace it is to remove the prop shaft from the coupling. Does anyone know what kind of coupling puller I'll need for this and where I could buy it?

Will I be able to re-use the original coupling if there is no corrosion? The boat has only been sailed in freshwater for the last 20 years and has been in dry storage for half that time, so I am guessing corrosion won't be much of an issue.

Any tips for this project would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys and gals!

Laura
  #2   IP: 32.211.28.40
Old 11-08-2019, 01:52 PM
Afourian MVP

There are commercial pullers available, but most (at least the ones I've used) need too much room to be of use.
I recommend you buy/borrow a few long 3/8" fine thread bolts - the longer the better - along with a few matching nuts. Thread the nuts all the way onto the long bolts. Unbolt the existing coupling from the transmission and move it back far enough to put a socket (or similar spacer) between the end of the shaft and the transmission. The spacer diameter has to be smaller than your shaft. Move the shaft back towards the transmission, keeping the spacer centered. Now install the long bolts through the coupling and into the transmission flange. Tighten the nuts against the coupling until things are just snug. If you haven't done so yet, remove any set screws between the coupling and the shaft. Now, gently tightening the nuts against the coupling should break the coupling loose from the shaft. You don't want to break the transmission flange! A bit of heat from a propane torch may help.
I've found that the coupling gets tight to the shaft because of corrosion on the inside of the coupling (cast iron). Once the coupling is off, you can clean up the bore with sandpaper and it will easily slide back on.
  #3   IP: 72.69.36.126
Old 11-08-2019, 11:08 PM
Afourian MVP

http://www.moyermarineforum.com/foru...ead.php?t=4540

My advice: cut the coupling off now with a Sawzall and replace it with Moyer's split coupling of the appropriate shaft diameter. Yes, the $175 split coupling, which will be easy to remove in the future. The removal and replacement will take 20 minutes.

https://moyermarine.com/product-cate...etrain/page/2/

You won't take this advice, but please come back after you finish this project and let me know if you think this is sound