X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Smuggli
    • Jul 2014

Stuffing Box Crack No Replacement

Hello, I have a conundrum here. I have an Alberg 35 and the yard appears to have cracked the old-fashioned bronze stuffing box housing or stopping nut, and water is coming up through the nut itself. I can't find a replacement with the following specs:

7/8ths" (.875") diameter prop shaft
    1.5" hose

They make a packing/stuffing box for 7/8ths shaft with a 1.75" hose, but no 1.5" hose to fit around the design of the stuffing box. They make a 1.5" hose for 1" diameter shaft. But not what I need either.

This has become a bit of an emergency from a timing perspective. I have hauled the boat, but we are 4 months behind schedule and 3 days ago was our drop dead date to leave. The wife is getting ready to leave me.

Any Alberg 35 or similar owners out there with this problem? Or any ideas on a source for this? I'm baffled at how there can't be something out there that fits my boat.

Thanks!

Scott Muggli
    S/V Anna Rita
    1966 Alberg 35
    Early Model A4
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

There's a dripless seal that fits your dimensions:
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• ArtJ
      • Sep 2009

Stuffing box hose is also sold by length. I recently bought some 1 inch hose
      from Monahans marine located in Weymouth Mass. which they sawed to my requested length. They may also stock your size as well. As no doubt do other local marine stores. The big suppliers such as Defender do not always stock all sizes

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Originally posted by Smuggli View Post
        Hello, I have a conundrum here. I have an Alberg 35 and the yard appears to have cracked the old-fashioned bronze stuffing box housing or stopping nut, and water is coming up through the nut itself. I can't find a replacement with the following specs:

7/8ths" (.875") diameter prop shaft
        1.5" hose

They make a packing/stuffing box for 7/8ths shaft with a 1.75" hose, but no 1.5" hose to fit around the design of the stuffing box. They make a 1.5" hose for 1" diameter shaft. But not what I need either.

This has become a bit of an emergency from a timing perspective. I have hauled the boat, but we are 4 months behind schedule and 3 days ago was our drop dead date to leave. The wife is getting ready to leave me.

Any Alberg 35 or similar owners out there with this problem? Or any ideas on a source for this? I'm baffled at how there can't be something out there that fits my boat.

Thanks!

Scott Muggli
        S/V Anna Rita
        1966 Alberg 35
        Early Model A4
        I would be letting the yard go find the parts
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Jan 2007

Scott, I agree with the yard finding one as they probably have many sources if they're not to lazy.

If it is indeed unavailable building up the current "boss" an 1/8" should not be a big deal. Most "bosses" are just sorta smooth f-glass anyway. Perhaps a piece of "exhaust f-glass pieces" could be cut and epoxied on the old boss. It just may be faster and again the yard should be able to do this easily.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

See if you can get a hose dimension for this one:
            Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 7/8" Bronze Shaft log 3 1/4"L at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California

Comment

• GregH
              Afourian MVP
              • Jun 2015

On My Alberg 30, the stern tube is an odd size such that could not get a hose to fit it properly. What did work was that a smaller hose that luck would have it, had the correct ID and OD needed - fit perfectly as a spacer, and snugly too.

Maybe that's an option too?
              Greg
              1975 Alberg 30
              sigpic

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

My PSS carbon face seal fits those dimensions FYI. Still should not be YOUR problem!
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

In general I'm pretty cynical of boatyard diligence in the initial work (the problem here) and a timely resolution. Yes, I'm sure there are good yards out there and this may be one of them but the odds are not good in my experience.

A problem on my boat is always my problem. I've found my direct involvement solves it sooner or later and given the very tight time constraint presented in this thread, sooner is better.

To that end, any time I've been in a yard I've always provided an act of kindness early on, usually a couple dozen doughnuts before the shift begins the first couple of days. It works wonders.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California

Comment

• GregH
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jun 2015

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                    In general I'm pretty cynical of boatyard diligence in the initial work (the problem here) and a timely resolution. Yes, I'm sure there are good yards out there and this may be one of them but the odds are not good in my experience.

A problem on my boat is always my problem. I've found my direct involvement solves it sooner or later and given the very tight time constraint presented in this thread, sooner is better.

To that end, any time I've been in a yard I've always provided an act of kindness early on, usually a couple dozen doughnuts before the shift begins the first couple of days. It works wonders.
                    Little off topic, but I took always show my appreciation on launch and haulout with a mega-sized bag of skittles for the yard crew - they love em! (for some reason ) They are always very appreciative and any little summer thing is that much smoother. That said, they are good people anyways!
                    Greg
                    1975 Alberg 30
                    sigpic

Comment

• sastanley
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2008

I have found a case of beer in a cooler on splash day is appreciated..just depends on which type of yard you use! I try to schedule my splashes for Friday afternoons.
                      -Shawn
                      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X