X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geekeasy
    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by geekeasy View Post
    There's now one in the mail. I'll let you guys know what I find out after I plug it in.
    I took the boat out for about 45 minutes today with an analog gauge attached to the engine .

The oil pressure started about 60 and never dropped below 50.

I guess I just need a new sender unit now. :-)
    Kiki
    Ericson 35 - #282

Comment

• Nauti Buoy
      • Nov 2014

Wow. Ive been experiencing an identical problem. Another capable mechanic advised I already had a mechanical gauge in place. (I need to double check, just for my peace of mind).

I believed the oil pressure was dropping to a dangerous level (5 lbs) because of what I thought was a "lifter noise" when the temperature increased and the oil pressure dropped. Further research however revealed the electronic fuel pump is heating up and knocking as the see through fuel filter empties. I verified it was the pump knocking by dismounting it from the engine block and grounding it while holding it in my hand. The source of the noise and knocking was obvious.

Now I just need to determine if the fuel depletion in the filter is causing the pump issue or if the pump is actually failing causing the fuel depletion.

I've changed oil and the oil pressure regulator and was moments away from ordering a very expensive seat dressing tool when I found this post. Gonna verify the gauge prior to that.

If anyone has any guidance to offer id appreciate it.

Thanks.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

Nuti bouy, first welcome to the MMI Forum! Second start a new thread for your issue and it will be less confusing.

Is the see through filter between the tank and pump or the pump and carb?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Nauti Buoy
          • Nov 2014

Noisy fuel pump sounds like lifters clacking

Dave,

Not to make things too complicated but for the sake of clarity:

Pearson 323

Fuel tank connects to 1/4" or 3/8" (cant remember which) copper line which connects to gas cock in questionable operating condition which connects to fuel/water separator then connects to rubber line connected to see through filter then to the pump.

And should I also post the original question and this to new thread? Been perusing the forums for a while but never posted till now, not sure what actual protocol is. And thanks for responding.
          NautiBuoy

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
            • Nov 2008

Did you try burping the mechanical gauge? Are there any oil leaks in the engine->gauge line that might be allowing pressure to escape?

Are you getting enough fuel to the pump? Maybe the pick up tube in the tank is blocked a bit. They will make a loud rapid noise when they try to pump air. Also burn out quickly.

If you know the fuel pump is bad replace it and go from there.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Nauti Buoy
              • Nov 2014

True Grit,

Heading to the boat in just a short while with a new mechanical gauge, spare hose, clamps and a 12 pack.

The engine performed beautifully during the sea trial. It wasn't until after I had my kids and grandkids on the boat for the first time that we discovered this problem just before heading out of the harbor into open water. So I'm not really sure how everything is supposed to work when its working properly, I only know that right now it doesn't.

I have so far been unable to open up the fuel water separator. I had misplaced my oil filter wrench. Stopping along the way to get a new one of those and maybe that will solve some of the mystery. I suspect there's air or a restriction in the gas line.

I will say, so far my only hope of fixing this problem is through this forum. Very few people in my area know anything at all about atomic force and it seems nobody has any of the specialty knowledge or equipment to work on it.

Thank you to everyone for their past and future contributions and recommendations.

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
                • May 2010

Bring an empty gallon milk jug, and other secondary containment, and some nitrile gloves. There is NO good way of getting the fuel filter off the housing without slopping gas. Having a cut off milk jug around it helps contain the slop.

Also, if you have a water separator, you may be able to drain out the bottom.

I've never seen a clear gas filter that wasn't plastic. In general, that's a no no with an inboard gas engine. Something to think about as you go about replacing things....
                Jeff

sigpic
                S/V Bunny Planet
                1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• Nauti Buoy
                  • Nov 2014

Thanks Jeff,

I had also heard from others that plastic filters on a boat was a no no. Not quite sure what that is all about but I certainly respect the wisdom and experience behind it. But in this particular circumstance it turned out to be a happy faux pas. It allowed me to visually see what was going on.

I've been cautioned by my first mate not to believe everything I hear about boats for instance the one about women being bad luck on board. Yeah, she's having no part of that one.

Thanks again for all your help.

Gary

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Nauti Buoy View Post
                    (A)The engine performed beautifully during the sea trial. It wasn't until after I had my kids and grandkids on the boat for the first time that we discovered this problem just before heading out of the harbor into open water. So I'm not really sure how everything is supposed to work when its working properly, I only know that right now it doesn't.

(B) I will say, so far my only hope of fixing this problem is through this forum. Very few people in my area know anything at all about atomic force (Atomic four) and it seems nobody has any of the specialty knowledge or equipment to work on it.
                    (A) The motion of the boat during the sea trial may have stirred up KRAP in the tank which is now affecting the fuel system. The "gold stardard" for diagnosis of KRAP in the fuel system\tank is to run off an auxiliary tank and see if the problem(s) go away.

(B) Stick with the forum. We'll get you through it. Promise.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                      Nuti bouy, Second start a new thread for your issue and it will be less confusing.
                      Scroll down. Click on the discussion topic you want (fuel system). New thread button is at the upper left.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
                        • May 2010

I've been cautioned by my first mate not to believe everything I hear about boats for instance the one about women being bad luck on board.
                        That's nonsense (unless the First Mate happens to be a female Albatross). If you were to become stranded, intentional or otherwise, I could think of little better....

Basically, everything in an inboard gas fuel system needs to survive a 2.5 minute fire test with no leakage. Ergo, no plastic. However, a fuel pressure gauge at the carburetor would have told you the same thing.

Meanwhile, here's a great guide to fuel systems, compliments the USCG.

ABYC H-24. Incorporated by reference into the US law, but still copy written, so it's harder to get recent copy....

Just some light summer reading....
                        Last edited by BunnyPlanet169; 04-23-2015, 03:21 PM.
                        Jeff

sigpic
                        S/V Bunny Planet
                        1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                          • Nov 2008

To Add To BP's Comment

Originally posted by Nauti Buoy View Post
                          I've been cautioned by my first mate not to believe everything I hear about boats for instance the one about women being bad luck on board. Yeah, she's having no part of that one.Gary
                          Quite the opposite in my experience. Women make damm good sailors.

Sailing is sometimes viewed as a "he man brute strength" sport. This is incorrect. It's not how strong you are but rather how you use the strength you have. If it gets down to who is the strongest, you or the boat, the boat will always win. Be paitent and show her how to do things to sail the boat. Soon she will be able to handle the jib sheets when tacking while you are on the helm.

Put her in charge of planning the menu when you cruise then help cook and clean up. It's a bonding thing.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• BadaBing
                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
                            Quite the opposite in my experience. Women make damm good sailors.

Sailing is sometimes viewed as a "he man brute strength" sport. This is incorrect. It's not how strong you are but rather how you use the strength you have. If it gets down to who is the strongest, you or the boat, the boat will always win. Be paitent and show her how to do things to sail the boat. Soon she will be able to handle the jib sheets when tacking while you are on the helm.

Put her in charge of planning the menu when you cruise then help cook and clean up. It's a bonding thing.

TRUE GRIT
                            Nothing bonds quite so well as a sundown sail on a lonely expanse of water. Finding a quite anchorage and Relaxed conversation over a simple meal and a night on the hook. Marina sailing I'd an all tog e rather other world.
                            Bill
                            1974, Tartan 30, Unchained Melody
                            www.CanvasWorks.US

Comment

• Nauti Buoy
                              • Nov 2014

And here is the latest for Moondance. After replacing the pressure regulator, then watching the engine heat up and the pressure drop yet again, I purged the line leading to the mechanical oil gauge. I purged quite a while. It was astonishing to see how dirty the oil was after just 2 hours use. Also has a pretty strong odor of gasoline mixed in with it.

While the engine was still cold the oil came out in steady stream. After engine warned, oil dripped out. New gauge corroborated info from old gauge. Added quart of Lucas oil to 10 w 40 which helped a lot but still drops to 15 lbs at 1800 rpm. Sea trial may tell more.

My mechanic friend bore scoped the Regulator seat. There's obviously some pitting there. I'm ordering the tool. While he was at it he also pulled a couple spark plugs and looked at the combustion chamber. Each chamber tells a slightly different story. Only 1 of them was a normal looking plug all the others are fouled with oil. I'll be coming back shortly to do a compression check. not sure if there's any oil pressure related issues with that but it's looking more more like I'll be buying a new engine.

Will continue fuel discussion on another thread.

Comment

• Administrator
                                MMI Webmaster
                                • Oct 2004

Mechanical fuel pump?

Wouldn't gasoline in the oil kill the viscosity?

Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X