Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#51   IP: 24.138.22.213
Old 04-26-2015, 11:14 AM
Afourian MVP

Post a few pictures of the engine...especially the fuel pump and behind the carb...where the old one should have been removed. Just to make sure. Here the gas in oil that I saw last year.

http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/sh...light=pressure

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Last edited by Mo; 04-26-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:07 PM
lat 64
This message has been deleted by lat 64. Reason: old thread
  #52   IP: 71.53.72.231
Old 04-27-2015, 12:10 PM

Hmm... Since about February, my oil pressure gauge has read zero. The needle twitches a bit on startup, but never climbs. Since I installed the engine warning system, with an independent OPG, and the buzzer does not sound after start-up, I have been assuming that it's just the old oil pressure sender has worn out. It has been kind of far down on my list of things to worry about.

Seem reasonable?
  #53   IP: 24.152.132.65
Old 04-27-2015, 12:26 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Exclamation

Toddster, NO - not reasonable!!

I don't know from your post if you have the basic Cole-Hersee warning system or the MMI EWDS but in either case they are not intended as substitutes for functioning gauges. They are both warning systems intended to get your attention as things are going South.

Both systems use the same oil pressure switch with a trip point of 2~6 PSI so alarm silence only means you have at least 2 PSI oil pressure. Please, let's get your gauge functioning properly. It's important.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #54   IP: 71.53.72.231
Old 04-27-2015, 12:54 PM

Well crepe. I'll try to get an alternate gauge on it tonight or tomorrow. Had hoped to go sailing.

Also scheduled for an oil change this week, but maybe I'll deal with this first.
  #55   IP: 98.101.216.14
Old 04-27-2015, 03:50 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
From Don in a separate communication:
Again, the most puzzling thing about the low oil pressure symptom is that it starts out normal to high, then dwindled down to near nothing. The only thing I can come up with is the oil pressure reg seat. I also suspected worn bearings but have been told if the bearings are worn pressure will be low immediately. Opinions?

The addition of the Lucas Oil additive keeps the pressure up to around 15 to 18 psi after idling at around 1500 to 2000 rpm with short excursions to 2400 over a 40 minute period. Long enough to reach open water but.....

Since my last day of troubleshooting I have discovered low compression in 2 of the 4 cylinders (63 & 65 psi) and 85 psi in another. Only 1 was at 97 psi.

From the previous bore scope observation which caused concerns about possible water contamination inside the block I have to wonder if some of the rings are "frozen" to the piston(s) causing unburned fuel to enter the crank case and dirtying up my pretty new oil. The oil level isn't rising on the dipstick and the gas odor from the oil isn't overwhelming.

A friend has agreed to help remove the engine from it's confines and assist in diagnosing possible ring and oil pump failure. He's confident he can gauge the ring to cylinder wall fit without removing the pistons. I'm a fairly proficient mechanic but have no idea how he'll accurately gauge that.

We'll also be able to get a better read on the condition of the oil pressure regulator seat.

Waiting to hear back from Ken for complete pricing, just in case.
  #56   IP: 209.216.188.18
Old 04-27-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
Toddster, NO - not reasonable!!

I don't know from your post if you have the basic Cole-Hersee warning system or the MMI EWDS but in either case they are not intended as substitutes for functioning gauges. They are both warning systems intended to get your attention as things are going South.

Both systems use the same oil pressure switch with a trip point of 2~6 PSI so alarm silence only means you have at least 2 PSI oil pressure. Please, let's get your gauge functioning properly. It's important.
Well it appears to have been a bad gauge. Mechanical gauge went right up to 35-40. Hard to tell exactly on this 0-100 range. (The only one available locally) but it seems OK.
  #57   IP: 174.97.11.56
Old 05-15-2015, 10:31 PM

Progress

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth we are replacing our engine. The following was copied and pasted from the Moyer Marine online catalog. It is an excerpt from the description for new oil pump gears.

"When the output from an oil pump drops off below a certain point, oil pressure will decay over several hours of operation even though all bearing clearances are normal. When this condition occurs, the problem is seldom excessive wear on the oil pump gears themselves, but wear within the housing of the rear main bearing cap in which the gears rotate (including the four holes in the housing which serve as bearings for the rotating shafts of the gears)."

So, even if we replaced the pump ($400+) we still are unsure of the rings, crank, bearings, etc. We cannot determine why the oil gets dirty so quickly (Head gasket, stuck valve(s), rings), the oil still has a slight gas odor to it, the fuel pump is way too noisy, low compression in 2 cylinders and engine runs hot. Heat exchanger was removed and visually inspected. Clear. Too many unknowns and variables.

The biggest challenge will be removing and replacing the engine at the slip. I would love to see a video of somebody pulling an A4 from a Pearson 323.

Tags
oil pressure, remove engine, troubleshooting