X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

Neil, I've been ignoring mine, but, I know that it is noisy. I can hear the bearings grinding away using the screwdriver trick..I try to put the least amount of belt tension that keeps it from slipping to keep it going a little longer.

Since the rest of the motor is in decent working order, I am gonna yank mine this winter maybe (time for a raw water impeller anyway) and check the bearings and and at least do the oil modification that Don Moyer recommends..or send mine in and get a rebuilt one that is already done..

Here is a tech tip from Don Moyer on the subject. --> http://www.moyermarine.com/access_repair.htm
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Accy drive chat

Shawn, might just be a good idea as far as I'm concerned. Mine is starting to get a bit noisy and the water pump is getting slightly wet and oily. Not worried about the fix just hope I can get it out in my instalation which is similar to yours. That side of my box is tight but I may be able to slide it under my sole for wiggle space. Only have 4 or 5 more trips this year so I will do in our SO CAL(led) winter.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Fodder
        • Mar 2009

I've got say what a fantastic resource this forum is and the incredible sense of comraderie and willingness to help from complete strangers. I've got a problem with an engine that has been around longer than the Maple Leafs have been in the Stanley Cup (at this point, I'd settle for making the playoffs!) and yet have detailed advice and options for replacement parts. Amazing. I wish the rest of the products I own came with this kind of support! I'm thinking of calling in sick tomorrow just so I can get back to the boat to start diagnosing the real cause. Thank you all!
        Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it.

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

now you're getting it!

Originally posted by Fodder View Post
          I'm thinking of calling in sick tomorrow just so I can get back to the boat to start diagnosing the real cause. Thank you all!
          Uh...Fodder, you wouldn't be the first one at this forum to do that!..

Good luck and be sure to report back..it helps everyone, now and in the future.
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
            • Nov 2008

While you have the belt off give the pulley on the alternator a shake.

PM to Fodder R\E post #18: My favorite is: "Any landing you can walk away from was a good one."

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Mo
              Afourian MVP
              • Jun 2007

The Rotella 15w40 (diesel) is the right stuff and is good for both gas and diesel engines...as well as turbo charged...which most diesels are these days. It can take the heat I've been using it for 5 years without a hitch. I'm out in the winter but was in the water Mar 30 this year....it works fine even in spring as it's not that cold.....oh, and you won't won't have near the disappointment as you do as a Leafs fan....OMG LOL....go Bruins
              Last edited by Mo; 08-22-2012, 05:42 PM.
              Mo

"Odyssey"
              1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
              The optimist expects it to change.
              The realist adjusts the sails.
              ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• ILikeRust
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2010

One of the best tools for diagnosing engine ticks, taps and squeals is about a 2-foot length of 1/4" or so rubber hose - like fuel line.

Stick one end right in your ear-hole and stick the other end near the various parts of the engine that you think might be making the noise - carefully! Don't get anything caught in a spinning belt.

It works very much like a stethoscope and helps isolate the other noises. Works even better of you can close your other ear, but that would require a third hand. I would stick that hose right near the accessory drive and also over on the valve side of the engine, just to see if there's noise there.
                - Bill T.
                - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by ILikeRust View Post
                  Works even better of you can close your other ear, but that would require a third hand.
                  Use an ear plug of some sort in the other ear.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Fodder
                    • Mar 2009

Hi All,

I thought I'd give an update as to the status of my engine. I just got back from 2 weeks in the North Channel so that should be a partial clue. I took the advice of all who responded and did more investigation. The stethescope test revealed that the number 3 cylinder was the source of the knocking sound. I changed the oil again and upgraded to the 15w40 Rotella which helped to improve the noise somewhat. I was lucky to have one of the other boat owners around when I was doing the testing who happens to be a mechanic. He originally 'hoped' it would be the tappets but given the depth of the sound he felt it was piston slap. His immediate response was to say "rebuild". I think that is likely a good idea and would allow me peace of mind for next year's journeys given the age of the engine. I'm lucky to have access to a jin-pole and lot's of helpers to lend a hand so will start to read up on Don's instructions for removing the engine. So much for a new windlass this year....

P.S. Here's a pic from the trip.

Thank you again for alll of your help and suggestions.
                    Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it.

Comment

• ILikeRust
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2010

Suh-WEET pic! Looks like a great spot...
                      - Bill T.
                      - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• lat 64
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Oct 2008

And so begins a new adventure.
                        your engine looks well-taken care of. A rebuild should be easier because of that.
                        I see you have a windlass already. Let me know when you get to replacing it.
                        I use my sheet winch to pull the anchor from the muck, so I'm casting about for a used manual windlass.

nice boat too,

Russ
                        sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

Working...
                        X