• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 67c&ccorv
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
    ffmedic,

The flip side of that same coin is an electric fuel pump can have side benefits with very little additional plumbing (a valve and a little hose). Here's the thread discussing it, starting around post #20 or so:

http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/sh...lishing+system
    And for the flip side of that argument see the issues Rpowers ("Oil pressure drop") is having with his electric fuel pump safety switch shutting the engine down when the oil pressure drops below 6psi when idling.

Seems to me that I see a lot of these oil-pressure shutoff switches bypassed after the owner becomes fed up with the engine shutdowns caused by oil pressure fluctuations (that I would argue happen on a regular basis even with a motor in good mechanical condition).

I will keep rebuilding mine every couple of seasons or so and save the headaches...

...we do have a long winter up here ya know!
    Last edited by 67c&ccorv; 06-13-2010, 02:56 PM.

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Originally posted by 67c&ccorv View Post
      And for the flip side of that argument see the issues Rpowers ("Oil pressure drop") is having with his electric fuel pump safety switch shutting the engine down when the oil pressure drops below 6psi when idling.

Seems to me that I see a lot of these oil-pressure shutoff switches bypassed after the owner becomes fed up with the engine shutdowns caused by oil pressure fluctuations (that I would argue happen on a regular basis even with a motor in good mechanical condition).

I absolutely agree, **BLASPHEMY ALERT - - -BLASPHEMY ALERT** which is why I don't have one.

I do, however, have an audible low oil pressure/high water temperature alarm system. The intent of the oil pressure shutoff switch is to insure the electric fuel pump isn't running unless the engine is running. A side benefit is protecting the engine from low oil pressure damage. In my case, I am alerted by an obnoxious alarm if either the oil pressure or engine temperature get outside acceptable parameters, at which time I would turn off the key.

I know, I know, the ABYC police are probably walking down my dock as I post this but 67's point is well taken. A possible unintended consequence of the fuel pump shutoff switch is sudden - and maybe unwarranted - engine shutdown, no doubt at the worst possible time.
      Last edited by ndutton; 06-13-2010, 05:07 PM.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

help at hand

Neil - If the ABYC police do drag you into Blasphemy Court for not having the right switch, you can count on this platoon as character witnesses.

Comment

• ffmedic
          • Sep 2009

thanks for all the great replies. The new pump should be here today so I am planning on pulling the old pump and installing the new one today.

Thatch in response to your request I qwill gladly tear the old pump apart to see where things went bad. I will also try to get some pictures and post them here if they show anything
          ffmedic - "Exodus" 1973 Ranger 30

Comment

• thatch
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2009

"appreciated"

ffmedic,
            Any information on parts failures, particularly with safty related issues, should be a top prioty for us all.
            Thank's, Tom

Comment

Working...
            X