X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SailingAlien
    • Apr 2009

New Fuel tank, no fuel

I installed a new fuel tank on my Morgan, hooked up the hoses, added fuel and hit the switch but the engine never got a spark. After some checking, the fuel was not making it to the fuel filter. I was expecting the fuel pump on the Atomic 4 to pull the fuel in from the tank once I started cranking. Crazy thought I guess. The tank is higher than the engine but the fuel line comes out of the top of the tank before heading down to the fuel filter and engine, so gravity is going to need some help to start. How can I get it to the engine. Can I prime it through the flame arrester? I can get some flow of fuel by sucking on the hose before it gets to the fuel filter, but all in all that seems like an unhealthy approach. I seem to recall somewhere that the fuel pump on the Atomic 4 didn't start working until the engine was running. That will make things a little difficult. Any thoughts on how I can get the fuel to the engine?
    ________
    Honda VTX1800C
    Last edited by SailingAlien; 01-22-2011, 12:51 AM.
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Do you have a mechanical or electrical fuel pump?

Comment

• SailingAlien
      • Apr 2009

I don't know. How can I tell? Based on my conversations with Ken, I have a late model Atomic 4.
      ________
      screplays

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Which one of these?
        Attached Files
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• SailingAlien
          • Apr 2009

I'll take a look tomorrow but I want to say it is the second one which I assume is mechanical.
          ________
          ultimate fighters

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

We're all holding off until we know what type of fuel pump you have. Be prepared for the outboard squeezy bulb suggestion, the obvious inquiry about the tank valve being closed (many of us have experienced that), oil pressure safety switch bypass (if electric pump), loose clamps/air leaks and so on.

Looking forward to seeing your next post.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• SailingAlien
              • Apr 2009

Got a suggestion from a guy on the dock and it paid off. It's a mechanical fuel pump (the second picture). We poured gas into the flame arrester waited a few moments and let her crank a few times. We drained one battery and had switched to the second before we heard a response from the old A4. She finally said "I wanna run" with that higher cranking sound of almost catching. A few more turns of the key and gas and she roared to life. I gotta tell ya, she sounded smoother than she did last year. Ran it for about 30 minutes, and re-started her. Again she came alive. I am so excited I don't know how I will sleep tonight. I will, knowing I can go sailing.
              ________
              ufc
              Last edited by SailingAlien; 01-22-2011, 12:52 AM.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

We are all rejoicing with you that your engine is running again. A question does remain. You make no mention of the primer pump on the fuel pump. Do we assume it is defective or do you know?

Comment

• SailingAlien
                  • Apr 2009

I don't think it's defective. I think it's owner is defective. I didn't even see the hand primer until this morning (Duh!). So instead, we manually (via the flame arrester) did the same thing I guess. Next time, I'll come here first instead of waiting until I have a problem. I do have a question though about the fuel ball. When we purchased the boat, it was equipped with an external fuel tank and fuel ball. It did take some a couple of squeezes to get the engine to start. That's all been removed. Would this be an indication of a bad primer pump? I haven't had a chance to get back to the boat yet, so I won't know until tomorrow if I need to prime it again. Why would the engine need a fuel ball?
                  ________
                  FZ1
                  Last edited by SailingAlien; 01-22-2011, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X