Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Cooling System

#1   IP: 142.32.208.233
Old 05-04-2005, 05:17 PM

Adapting freshwater cooling kit to other makes

Has anyone adapted the freshwater cooling kit to another make of engine?

Thanks
David
  #2   IP: 38.118.52.76
Old 05-05-2005, 07:08 AM

Thumbs up

David,

Our heat exchanger kit (CFWK_02_265), which can be mounted on any convenient bulkhead, has been used in applications where a fresh water cooling system had been in use previously, and the sea water pump assembly was still installed and serviceable. Relying on memory, these engines included 2 and 3 cylinder Universal diesels, one Volvo, and I believe a Yanmar as well. In each case, the engines were in the 20 to 25 HP range.

If you're starting out with no fresh water cooling system on your engine, you would have to figure out some way to mount a sea water pump on your engine, and the pump currently on your engine would become the fresh water pump.

Some years ago, I installed a system on our own two-cylinder Universal 5411 diesel. I designed a small bracket for the sea water pump to mount it in front of the engine in such a location as to be able to drive it from a double pulley I installed on the alternator. It's not usually too difficult to determine where a sea water pump could be installed, and then it's simply a matter of taking a small sketch to a local fabricating shop to have it made.

If your engine is raw water cooled at this time, I applaud your efforts to install a fresh water cooled system. Your engine will become a much more reliable long term investment. We have a runabout with a 4 cylinder inboard gasoline engine that has been raw water cooled since it was built in 1989. I am in the process of installing a fresh water cooling system on it, and judging from the condition of the manifold, exhaust riser, and a small area of corrosion along the head gasket, I'm glad I didn't wait much longer.

Regards,

Don
  #3   IP: 142.32.208.233
Old 05-05-2005, 12:45 PM

Thanks Don

I need to replenish the boat fund and then I will likely be in touch!