X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

There are two different sized mains on the C&C 30. In the attached document it stats the change was made at hull 507, however, I seem to recall the change was made after hull number 510. The boom was raised 1 foot on the mast to provide more room accessing the boat with a dodger in place as well as an extra foot of headroom in the cockpit. The boats made after hull number 510 have a smaller main.

If your measurement is supposed to be 34 then that is the number. Going 6 inches longer because that room is there at the top generally leads to two issues. (1&2)

1. Main contacts the backstay and hauls out battens
    2. Excessive wear at contact point on backstay (if it does)
    3. Loose ...if "P", the luff, is too long the sail may not raise tight. There are dangers associated with slack sails and they are often over looked. Sailing on an otherwise comfortable day with sails fully raise and getting hit with a sudden gust (with a loose luff) is a good way to have your spreaders slammed into the water. Not good to have a luff too long. (Racers know there are times we slacken luffs but for new boat owners...sails up tight)..even when reefed..that luff is tight.

Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

May I ask what prices you're seeing for a used main? Good condition?
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• sdemore
        • Nov 2016

I'm sure that everybody has their own interpretation of good, but they generally run in the range $395 - 695 (plus shipping, battens, etc). There is a sailmaker in Canada that has a specific C&C 30 mainsail, with the lower grade Dacron starting at $850.
        Steve Demore
        S/V Doin' It Right
        Pasadena, MD
        sigpic

Comment

• Mo
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2007

The C&C 30 is a true classic. Her bow rides on an upward slope, her squared off stern handles a following sea well and the boat does track very well. Just a pure joy to run in 18-30 knots of wind with the right sail combination. They don't pound much in rough weather...pure pig in light air.

If you have a 100 percent jib (no. 3) that's a good one to start off with. Minimizes the work running the boat, slower in hbr but works well when you have wind. Also safer for new unfamiliar crew etc. A sailmaker could make one of your existing sails with hanks run into your furler for minimal cash...I had a couple done in the 120 dollar range.

Now back to the main. I would suggest purchasing a new one if you can. Get a price from Doyle Sails in Halifax NS...ask for Brad and Mo sent you. He will treat you well. You are in MD so 7 ounce main will be fine, Dacron is fine...when we purchase a boat there are a couple of things to keep in mind up front and go hand in hand.

SAFETY AND MAINTENANCE. You might have a bit of catch up while you set the boat up but once there and maintained I find it an easy go. About 3K a year to keep my boat..dock, storage, insurance, maintenance, fuel, food and rum...that's a pretty good deal. The costly part is putting the boat right initially.
          Mo

"Odyssey"
          1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Mo pointed to where I was headed but couldn't quite find the words not wanting to pry into someone's budget.

I'm all for minding costs, that's been pretty well established over the years but treating my boat to a brand new custom made Genoa last year was quite the delight, no compromise on anything and of course a perfect fit. My main is still in half decent shape but with the pleasure of the new Genny, replacement of the main is now a goal. Comparing a ~$700 used main of lesser fit, features and condition to a ~$1400 new one (don't have a formal quote yet from my sailmaker, Eliot-Pattison in Newport Beach), I'll wait until I have the freedom chips in my pocket to go new.

The boat returns enough pleasure to justify it in my mind, she's worth it.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Mo
              Afourian MVP
              • Jun 2007

The reason I mentioned Brad was because of the exchange rate. Cdn dollar is 76 cents against the American green back right now...so that's 24% right there and Brad won't haul you over the coals. Doyle Sails...Dartmouth NS
              Mo

"Odyssey"
              1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

Working...
              X