Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Announcements

#1   IP: 24.145.95.212
Old 02-03-2016, 09:11 AM
MMI Webmaster

Way Way Off-Topic Discussion Groups

Bump of an old, old post:

Quote:
Over the past few weeks, TomG and I have swapped a couple of postings (and then a couple of PM’s) on the subject of how the Apple iPad might be used on the water. Obviously, this is pushing the envelope regarding “off-topic” discussion. Nevertheless, it frustrates me a bit at times that we deliberately limit the discussion matter when we have this wonderful collection of forum members whose experience, education, intuition, judgment, etc. challenge and entertain me every day. The intentions are honorable, but I’d like to try something that might interest like-minded individuals, without distracting or flat-out aggravating those members who appreciate the clarity of “mission” in the forum.

Our forum software has the ability to establish what it calls “public groups” – discussion categories which a member may join and view/post if desired, but will otherwise not be visible. I’d like to give it a try, and TomG has agreed to join me in the first iteration – a group dedicated to the iPad discussion we dabbled with earlier.

To join us (or simply to see how the whole thing works), click on the “User CP” option on the main navigation menu. Then select the “Group Memberships” option on the left side, which will display a list of user groups you are free to join. From there, it’s a matter of a couple of clicks.

Joining the “iPad User Group” will make visible a new discussion category, called “iPad Applications on the Water,” which will appear in the Off-Topic group towards the bottom of the page. Join the group and you’ll see this. Choose not to join, and you won’t.

Feedback regarding the idea (not simply this first rather specific iteration) would be appreciated. If you’d like to suggest another subject for a different group, please reply here or drop me a PM. I don’t really have a sense of where we’d draw the line as to what’s ok and what isn’t, beyond the broad requirements of decorum and taste. We’ll take ‘em as they come.

Bill
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Administrator For This Useful Post:
BadaBing (02-03-2016), Matts Dad (04-24-2016), Oldlaxer1 (02-03-2016)
  #2   IP: 216.165.127.20
Old 02-03-2016, 12:13 PM

great idea

i have often wanted the opinion of this membership on topics that I couldnt, even in my loose net interpertations, justify relating to an A4.
I think establishing a sort of side room is a fine idea
  #3   IP: 108.90.160.12
Old 02-03-2016, 05:43 PM

This sounds hard... let me give it a go...
78' Catalina 30 #1179
www.svknotaclew.wordpress.com
  #4   IP: 73.27.138.11
Old 02-03-2016, 10:21 PM
Afourian MVP

I have had the thought that MMI and Good Old Boat (magazine) should have a forum together.

It is like treating the whole boat and not just one part of it. (medical analogy)
  #5   IP: 71.50.11.52
Old 02-03-2016, 10:42 PM
Afourian MVP

I found a benefit to having along a tablet with a few simple nav tools even on a ferry boat. I have a freebie samsung tablet that I have been trying lots of Android apps.
I was on a ferry boat overnight in the Philippine Is. last summer and I had fun plotting our way through the night. 14 hrs is a looooong time.
(I know, not the dependable mode of travel. I did check the lifeboats thoroughly)
Unlike an airplane, you can mess around all you want with a gps device on a ship at sea.

A simple set of sailing tools(instruments) comes in the Saildroid app(Google playstore). just speed, course, and waypoint. Just like my dad's old Garmin 45 sitting behind me as I write. It's designed to display in BIG, contrasting digits for use on deck; and it's free just duct tape it to the mast in a ziplock bag.

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"
  #6   IP: 70.199.75.221
Old 02-04-2016, 10:17 AM

Sorry for not plsting in the ipad forum. Im in nyc, new grandchild, amd access tools limited.
As an fyi
Check out activecaptain.com tbey jave establoshed a dataase for access by pc ,ilaxz and anxroids . Very usefull
  #7   IP: 24.145.95.201
Old 06-25-2017, 08:03 AM
MMI Webmaster

Our forum software has the ability to establish what it calls “public groups” – discussion categories which a member may join and view/post if desired, but will otherwise not be visible. I’d like to give it a try, and TomG has agreed to join me in the first iteration – a group dedicated to the iPad discussion we dabbled with earlier.

To join us (or simply to see how the whole thing works), click on the “User CP” option on the main navigation menu. Then select the “Group Memberships” option on the left side, which will display a list of user groups you are free to join. From there, it’s a matter of a couple of clicks.

Joining the “iPad User Group” will make visible a new discussion category, called “iPad Applications on the Water,” which will appear in the Off-Topic group towards the bottom of the page. Join the group and you’ll see this. Choose not to join, and you won’t.

Bill

Last edited by Administrator; 07-23-2018 at 07:04 AM.
  #8   IP: 138.207.175.58
Old 07-23-2018, 07:03 AM
MMI Webmaster

Bumped.

Bill