Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Owner Discussion Groups > Discussion Groups > Sabre

#1   IP: 72.22.191.68
Old 03-13-2012, 03:27 PM

Sabre 28 Aft Lazzarette

I have a 1978 Sabre 28. The following is only somewhat related to the Atomic 4, but I hope someone can perhaps point me to where I might get more info.

While I was repairing the engine exhaust blower hoses, I found the plywood pieces in the aft lazzarette (that make a box to cover the steering pulley, and thru which the hoses are routed) needed repair. AND, more importantly, the angle-iron bracket that serves as a rudder stop had come loose (which can cause the steering to jamb).

I found working in the aft lazzarette VERY difficult, but did finally complete the repairs. Does anyone have any tips for the next time I need to work in there?

Thanks, Ware
  #2   IP: 148.170.241.1
Old 03-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by warefuller View Post
I found working in the aft lazzarette VERY difficult, but did finally complete the repairs. Does anyone have any tips for the next time I need to work in there?
Hire a very small mechanic.

But seriously, I have just found that to be part of the never-ending joy of owning and fixing up an old sailboat. I think I bruised a rib when I pulled out, cleaned up and re-installed my shifter cable a few months ago. I had to slide head-first back into an aft quarterberth, so that my head ended up nearly in the aft lazarette, and my upper torso was hanging off the end of the berth.

There just was no other way to get the job done. Sometimes you just have to make yourself as skinny as possible and contort into whatever space is available to work in.

Maybe Moyer could sell little bottles of potion that say "drink me"...

Relentless pursuer of lost causes
  #3   IP: 8.19.13.19
Old 03-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by warefuller View Post
I have a 1978 Sabre 28. I hope someone can perhaps point me to where I might get more info.
I found working in the aft lazzarette VERY difficult, but did finally complete the repairs. Does anyone have any tips for the next time I need to work in there?Thanks, Ware
Here's an elementary classification of boat dings:
Boat hickies: Burses
Boat bites: The ones that bleed
Sore muscles: Best treated by carbonated alcoholic beverages
These are the purple hearts of a do it yourself boat owner. You can't avoid them.

TRUE GRIT
  #4   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 03-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Afourian MVP

Cool I hear ya

You can only fix it as you find it. Last spring I lubricated all my steering gear and had a look at the idler plate. Sprayed that with Rust Check also. It looked to be about 1/4 inch thick and pretty crusty. I planned on fixing it this spring. Half way through the summer it failed. I found out that it was 1/8 inch thick originally and had corroded so much that it looked heavier...sometimes it IS better to take a smack at some of the things we see.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.
  #5   IP: 24.106.234.162
Old 03-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Afourian MVP

Until you've stepped from the cabintop into a lazarette that you thought was closed and landed with the edge of the lazarette dead center between the legs, I have no sympathy. Two years later I still feel the pain.
  #6   IP: 69.226.119.35
Old 03-13-2012, 08:26 PM

I do know howyou all feel. Ive spent many an hour inside my lazzarette trying to position myself as comfortably as possible. The best bit of advice I can offer is if you have to go in there to repair or replace something do right the first time so you don't have to do it again.

In regard to stepping into the open lazarette from the cabin top. Yikes!! I cant even imagine what sort of hospitalization that would require.

DVD
  #7   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 03-14-2012, 02:23 AM
Afourian MVP

Wink

Ooooohh....Mike, that had to hurt. I imagine you had the bag of frozen peas on the lads for a few days after that. No help from a depth of the lazarette on the C&C 30 either...they are deep and the crotch will bring up solid before your foot hits the bottom. My toes are curled up just thinking about it.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Tags
blower, lazzarette, sabre 28