• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RMount
    Frequent Contributor
    • Oct 2006

Straight drive to V-drive

Based on everything I have read so far it looks like it is possible to change a straight drive engine over to a v drive by changing everything from the tail shaft on. Could someone confirm this for me? I have found a couple of good runners to replace my late model A4 but they all have straight drives and I need a V drive. The V-drive I took off my engine is in good condition.
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

It is indeed possible to move a "V-Drive" reversing gear assembly over to a direct drive engine.

I'm attaching a rather lengthy pdf file of the essential steps in removing and replacing a reversing gear, in case you don't have access to one of our service and overhaul manuals. The reversing gears themselves are identical except for the tail shaft which is a splined shaft in the "V-Drive" configuration.

Unless you plan to follow through and configure your current engine with the direct drive from the replacement engine, you can ignore the note in step 2 regarding removal of the output coupling. You can save quite a bit of time by simply removing the entire reversing gear with the output coupling attached during the transfer. Once the "V-Drive" gear assembly is removed from the current engine, the reversing gear comes off quite easily and installs on the replacement just as easily.

Don
    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
    X