Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Ignition System

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   IP: 209.26.18.156
Old 10-26-2004, 11:17 AM

Timing Problem?

Our A4 has been running really well. We went to start it recently and it turns over, but won't start. We have gas in the carb (took out the in-line water filter as well), spark on each plug (took them out ands visually checked each), but all but #1 cylinder is dry. We tried starting vapor as well to no start. We figured we had a timing problem.

We connected a timing light but found that the light would flash once and no more. Same thing with another light. We pulled plug #1 to check the spark and would get one spark and that's all. I believe we have fixed that problem now. I'll definitely check it to make sure when we get back to the boat and before we start again. But we still have the problem of no engine start.

We haven't had this problem before and haven't had to dive this deep into a timing problem. To date we've addressed any problem by re-tuning, setting points, and/or advancing or retarding by turning the distributor. I haven't really heard of anyone tearing into the engine to fix the timing. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks fopr any input you can provide.
Stormy