Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Introductions

#1   IP: 69.221.152.208
Old 04-13-2009, 12:29 PM

New member, basic questions

Late last season (in Ohio) we bought a 1965 Pearson Vanguard with a 1973 A4, with aftermarket additions (elec. ignition, oil filter, racor filter, etc). My questions. . .

1. Although I managed to change plugs, oil, and filters on the A4 and have done belts and impellers on my previous boat's engine (Yanmar 1 cyl.) it is the extent of my knowledge (of engines). I need a recommendation for a learning program probably beginning with the basics, troubleshooting as well as maintenance. Yes, I have the MMI service and overhaul manual but internal combustion engines were not a part of my formative years,

2. I need to build a basic tool kit for the regular maintenance activities on the A4. Specifically, with open end wrenches do I need a set with anything larger than 3/4"? I have the socket for the plugs, what sort of range do I need for other tasks? Any "odd" tools that will be used frequently? Thanks.

Andy
  #2   IP: 207.200.116.131
Old 04-13-2009, 04:02 PM

Welcome aboard matey

a trip to sears for some hi quality tools is in order ,a set of open end box wrenches from 3/8 to 7/8 ,a set of 3 flat blade screw drivers in various sizes ,a set of phillips head drivers ,a set of shallow and deep 3/8 drive sockets ,a 3/8 drive socket set with drivers ,a volt/ohm meter ,a drop light ,a good extension cord 3 prong ,a set of feeler gauges ,in american ,a bag of rags ,some gloves suited for grease and thown away when done ,a scraper , a 12 volt trouble light . and a compression gauge .if you dont have a manual crank it would be a good thing to add .plus a trip to west marine ,a visit to the book section and the tome on electical/mechanical wouldn,t hurt . let the the good times roll .ps harbour freight may be cheaper but remember when it comes to hand tools you usually get what you pay for .
  #3   IP: 142.68.121.54
Old 04-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gump View Post
1. Although I managed to change plugs, oil, and filters on the A4 and have done belts and impellers on my previous boat's engine (Yanmar 1 cyl.) it is the extent of my knowledge (of engines). I need a recommendation for a learning program probably beginning with the basics, troubleshooting as well as maintenance. Yes, I have the MMI service and overhaul manual but internal combustion engines were not a part of my formative years,
Engine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_combustion_engine
Electrical: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/index.html
And get Nigel Calder's book on boat electrical and mechanical maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gump View Post
2. I need to build a basic tool kit for the regular maintenance activities on the A4. Specifically, with open end wrenches do I need a set with anything larger than 3/4"? I have the socket for the plugs, what sort of range do I need for other tasks? Any "odd" tools that will be used frequently?
I find it helps to have box wrenches up to 1". Some of the coolant fittings are easier to turn with larger wrenches. Vice grips. Wire snips. Screw drivers. Bolt measuring device. Measuring tape. Standard socket set, and a deep socket for the head stud nuts. Torque wrenches if you get into the head studs and other nuts/bolts that need exact torqueing. You'll end up not having the right tool and going to the hardware store for more when you run into certain tasks -- get a little black book to keep a list so you can remember details at the boat/at the store/at home.