Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Cooling System

#1   IP: 69.111.164.188
Old 08-25-2008, 11:41 PM
Frequent Contributor

fuel and carberation

The engine ran fine at 1000 rpms When building up to 1600 rpms it starts to miss and then Stops. I had water in the fuel in the beginning and siphoned the tank as mush as I could and changed the fuel filter and water separator then added about 6 gals new fuel and 12 oz. Heet. I also took the carb off and cleaned it. I think I may have got more water in the carb. that’s why the engine misses at hi rpms. The dwell is fine. Or I added to much Heet that makes it miss. I plan on adding 5 gals more fuel (92 octane) If that doesn’t work I’ll siphon more gas from the bottom of the tank and clean the carb again. Am I on the right track or should I try something else? Any suggestions? THANKS

Last edited by Richard Stewart; 08-25-2008 at 11:44 PM.
  #2   IP: 64.203.32.52
Old 08-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,298 Times in 844 Posts
Wink water in the fuel

Richard, if you found water in the carburator, it had to get there from the tank. Getting the water out of the tank is only "most" of the problem. Depending on how long your fuel lines are and how they are run can also be problimatic. The water can settle in any low spot on the entire fuel system. Get a primer buub with a small hose and snake it to the "BOTTOM" of the tank to get the water out "below" the pick-up tube. This can usually be done by removing the pick up tube and going down "deeper" than it does in the tank. I actually shortened mine to allow a little more room for contaminants at the bottom of the tank which cost me about a half of a gallon of usable fuel. Then you need to make sure you get the water out of the low spots or "dips" in the fuel lines where water can settle and remain until you need more power (FUEL) which increases fuel flow bringing the water to the carb. The water also can settle in the fuel pump or even in an inline filter. The settled water will only move when there is enough fuel flow to drag along the much heavier water. I have always had pretty good results adding a little "denatured alchohol" to absorb and carry the water out of the system. I have had considerable experience with this as my fuel fill is on the cockpit floor just waiting to let water in!! AND always check your water separator because if it gets full the rest of the water will enter the system anyway.

Note if you find water in the separator it is a good time to check the bottom of the tank and pump out what you can below the pick-up.

Dave Neptune
Volador E 35 Mk II
  #3   IP: 69.111.164.188
Old 08-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

water in fuel

Thanks Dave I followed your suggestions and it appears to have solved my problems. Thanks Again. Richard