Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Overhaul

#1   IP: 65.94.123.210
Old 07-04-2020, 08:48 PM
Afourian MVP

Cool 2020 Rebuild Thread

As I head into a rebuild this summer, ill try and keep everything related to it in this location. I have never done anythanything like this before but I am up for the challenge and learning experience.

If anyone has any tips for how to organize parts that come off, and other things to help please share.

A couple questions to start off:

1/ what is best for cleaning old ropey oil off interior areas and the oil pan in general?

2/ in an Alberg there are no adjustable feet used, just shims. I would like to change over to adjustable feet. For those that use them, what do you recommend? I know I will have to modify (lower and widen) the engine stringers.
The Following User Says Thank You to GregH For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (10-22-2020)
  #2   IP: 32.211.28.40
Old 07-05-2020, 08:19 PM
Afourian MVP

As for degreasing, I use stuff from Home Depot called Zep Industrial Purple. Not sure if it's available in Canada. Follow directions and be really careful if you put an aluminum carb in it.
As for resilient mounts, I would vote NO. Shims work fine with an A4. Resilient mounts cause their own bag of problems.
  #3   IP: 165.225.38.188
Old 07-06-2020, 10:44 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

I went through that last winter, never done anything like this before, not even close..

A few advice:
- pictures are great, but that is not enough
- PB blaster and time is your friend to remove anything
- MM manual is an absolute must
- buy a new school type notebook, and every time you remove a bolt, measure it and note location, length, diameter, if it needs to be replaced etc... I will allow you to make a detailed list of what you need to buy from hardware store, and save you multiple return trips. Personal experience: replace ALL bolts. It is not a crazy amount of money, and bolts in 20-40 years of salty environment tend to break when you put them back and torque them. Having to drill / tap is a pain. Make sure to check with the guys here what grade should be used.
- be very careful when removing oil pan from casing: do not "twist", I fractured my block like this: only "axial" effort
- re-wire anything that doe snot look in perfect shape: once you have the proper material, re-wire is easy, cleaner, and safer
- there is light at the end of the tunnel, enjoy the work!

my story

http://www.moyermarineforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=11241

to degrease: I did that "on the dry" so what I used was disposed properly, and not dumped into the sea. So I used one of those automotive degreaser can you are supposed to spray on your engine and in the engine bay: It worked like a charm: spray, wait 20 minutes, brush, wait 20 minutes, and rinse with hot water while brushing. Twice. After that, a couple coats of paint. Looks like a new boat.

Last edited by Surcouf; 07-06-2020 at 11:13 AM. Reason: addition
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Surcouf For This Useful Post:
GregH (07-10-2020), TimBSmith (10-22-2020)