X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Get a remote start switch. I had one mounted in my engine box for testing and starting "hands on" at times. There cheap and far easier than lining up help. They're available at Harbor Freight and most any parts store.

Well worth installing or putting in your tool box on the boat.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• AFisch
      • Sep 2019

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
      Nope, it's a diagnostic test for a cause of the shutdown and you did it correctly. I wasn't clear that it was done immediately after shutdown as most tests should be.

Did we ever get a spark test?
      I have not done the Spark test yet...Need a moment down at the boat without the kids...or with my wife there to distract them...hopefully this weekend.

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Originally posted by AFisch View Post
        This is what I have...[ATTACH]14546[/ATTACH]

BTW...Thank you so much for helping already...so glad I found this forum!
        I had one of those and had all kinds of issues. I eventually figured out the IN and OUT labeling was reversed!
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• AFisch
          • Sep 2019

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
          I had one of those and had all kinds of issues. I eventually figured out the IN and OUT labeling was reversed!
          I just reconnected mine how it was before, so hopefully it working as it is supposed to.

What issues where you having with it...if you can remember?

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Originally posted by AFisch View Post
            I just reconnected mine how it was before, so hopefully it working as it is supposed to.

What issues where you having with it...if you can remember?
            The way the water separator worked was hosed up if the engine is sucking from the wrong part of the filter.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• Kevinstone
              • Dec 2014

Palmer also

I also have a Palmer p-60. My wife and I have been cruising and living aboard for over 10 years. This forum has been a lot of help. Also try old marine engines.com the Palmer section. You can contact me if you want. I can help you get ahold of a manual if you still need one.

Comment

• AFisch
                • Sep 2019

Originally posted by Kevinstone View Post
                I also have a Palmer p-60. My wife and I have been cruising and living aboard for over 10 years. This forum has been a lot of help. Also try old marine engines.com the Palmer section. You can contact me if you want. I can help you get ahold of a manual if you still need one.
                Thanks for dropping in Kevin Stone...I'd love to connect more just to hear about living aboard...we plan to pull the kids out of school in about 5 years to start cruising. We will be looking at a bigger boat for that though, so my Palmer days may be done when that happens...but for now, connecting would be great. Feel free to email me at adamfischer_@hotmail.com if you are inclined.

Adam

Comment

• AFisch
                  • Sep 2019

Hey All....so I have been trying to look up what coil the Palmer takes...funny thing is I just replaced the coil on my VW bus too...will any 12 V coil of the same size work?
                  Adam

Comment

• joe_db
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

No - not any coil will work (for long). Assuming the Palmer has no ballast resistor, use the coil sold by Moyer and save yourself some trouble
                    Joe Della Barba
                    Coquina
                    C&C 35 MK I
                    Maryland USA

Comment

• AFisch
                      • Sep 2019

Ok, Update.

I finally made it down without the kids and was able to make some progress (although no-results).

I replaced the Coil...engine fired right up super strong, but didn't last long. New coil didn't solve issue.

Drained the Fuel Filter/Water separator, replaced the other small fuel filter and then took off fuel pump, and cleaned brass fittings. Drained out whatever fuel was in the pump, and eventually some blackish liquid came out. Re-hooked everything up, engaged the pump to re-prime the pump and fuel filter/water separator, fired her up and she ran like a top for 20-25 min in neutral...decided to put in gear and gradually increased throttle quiet a bit...let run in forward (tied up tight in slip) for 5-10 minutes...no problems. Put back into neutral and ran for another 10-15min or so...then I noticed a slight drop in the rpms...and then she shut down again. Tried to fire up again and would not start. Waiting a few minutes, fired up again, started right up...but didn't last long.

My initial thought is the fuel pump being the culprit...either has gunk of some kind...or is maybe just failing to pump after a while.

Side note, I did feel the coil after all of this and it did seem warm almost hot...did the brand new coil just get fried too?, or is this normal?? I drove my '73 bus home (after giving up for the evening) decided to feel the coil of the bus after driving home to see how it compared...and it was also relatively warm, so thinking this could be normal and maybe eliminate coil as the problem.

Almost ready to call mercy and get someone down here to look at it. But have trouble wanting to give in...

Comment

• joe_db
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

What kind of coil did you use?
                        Did you try the ether test?
                        Did you measure fuel pressure?
                        Joe Della Barba
                        Coquina
                        C&C 35 MK I
                        Maryland USA

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                          • Jan 2007

Adam, a 4 cylinder 12V coil will work just fine. Do you know what type of distributor you have? A pic may help.

If you suspect the pump due to the black ooze get another one and before mounting and playing install a fuel pressure gage between the polishing filter and the carb. I would suggest fresh fuel lines when doing this, often black ooze is ethanol breaking down old style fuel line.

Also a coil from a 4 cyl V-dub would work just fine. Do check the points and integrity of the cap. Also give the C-adv a twist and lube if necessary. And yes a coil will heat up!

When testing if she ever shuts down check for spark~~BE PREPARED~~immediately. No spark its ign and probably the coil.
                          You will already know about fuel delivery as you now have a pressure gage you checked while starting and/or running.

When the engine dies how does it die, stumbling to a stop or just quits like you shut her down?

You may want to start a fresh thread for your issues.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• AFisch
                            • Sep 2019

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                            Adam, a 4 cylinder 12V coil will work just fine. Do you know what type of distributor you have? A pic may help.

If you suspect the pump due to the black ooze get another one and before mounting and playing install a fuel pressure gage between the polishing filter and the carb. I would suggest fresh fuel lines when doing this, often black ooze is ethanol breaking down old style fuel line.

Also a coil from a 4 cyl V-dub would work just fine. Do check the points and integrity of the cap. Also give the C-adv a twist and lube if necessary. And yes a coil will heat up!

When testing if she ever shuts down check for spark~~BE PREPARED~~immediately. No spark its ign and probably the coil.
                            You will already know about fuel delivery as you now have a pressure gage you checked while starting and/or running.

When the engine dies how does it die, stumbling to a stop or just quits like you shut her down?

You may want to start a fresh thread for your issues.

Dave Neptune
                            I am spacing on the brand of the coil I got...it is not the one from the V-Dub...got it from Orange Engine who is a marine parts supplier here in Dana Point...and I went with the American made brand that was a little more expensive. I am 95% sure I do not have an external resistor, so went with a coil that does not require one.

When it dies...it is like when I shut it down..no sputtering before hand at all....just a slight drop in rpms moments before it dies.

I will get a new fuel pump and I'll get a pressure gauge too. Most of the fuel lines are brand new, but now that I think of it, the fuel line coming right off the fuel tank I have not replaced yet.

Given your description Dave Neptune, I don't think the coil is the issue now, but I will still try the spark test (which I have never done before).

Now thinking about it (through the night)...when this problem initially happened at the end of summer...I had drained the fuel/water separator and put on new filters. Once I did that, the engine ran for a long time before cutting out...45 min+. Since then, it has been 5 min max that it has run.

Yesterday, I drained the fuel/water separator and the fuel pump and replaced the small filter...and she ran for 45min+ before shutting down. Now after letting it sit for a while, more like 5min max again.

So, both times when I have drained the fuel/water separator and replaced filters, I get a good strong running engine for almost an hour. Does this tell anyone anything?

I should probably start a new thread, but this one has so much handy info for me and allows me to easily go back to check previous responses...

Comment

• AFisch
                              • Sep 2019

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
                              What kind of coil did you use?
                              Did you try the ether test?
                              Did you measure fuel pressure?
                              Can't recall brand off the top of my head, but got it from my local marine supply shop, Orange Engine in Dana Point...and went with the more expensive American made brand.

I did not do the ether test

I will definitely get a pressure gauge next go around. From what I am gathering here, this should be installed right before the carburator correct?

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                                • Jan 2007

Adam, sounds like a contaminated tank sorta. With fresh filters she runs for a while then dies. Repeat(?). That's pretty classic for a tank problem.

Perhaps you should replace the filters, install a gage and run it while paying attn. to the P-gage. I would also set up a temporary tank to feed the new stuff. If she runs well and does not die, bingo it's the tank.

If it dies and there is no spark it may be ign related. Note the ign should be checked as soon as she dies so be PREPARED to check it.

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
                                X