Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Cooling System

#1   IP: 128.135.111.105
Old 10-30-2007, 10:50 AM

Raw water filter for cooling?

On the Moyer Marine video 2 (cooling) there is a mention of filtering the incoming raw water, prior to having it enter the pump. Has anyone done this and can you share what you used?

I run fresh water cooling and have a dome-shaped strainer on the exterior of the hull, with roughly 1/8" holes. Inside there is just the t-fitting and then a straight shot to the water pump. I would obviously like to minimize the 'extra stuff' that runs through the system, and so I'm thinking about adding a filter.

I suppose I could fashion one out of other parts, but I don't want any filter to restrict the flow I now have. On the other hand, with the zebra mussels moving in I would like to keep their spawn out of the system - along with anything else small enough to get through that first 1/8" strainer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks much!

Mick
  #2   IP: 68.74.121.46
Old 10-31-2007, 05:45 PM

Yes, A Water Strainer! Cautionary Tail of Mystery

Make that "Tale!" I am on Lake Michigan, and my 32 yo boat with A4 (always in fresh, never salt, water) did not have a water strainer. And I am not talking about the slotted scoop type on the outside of the hull--that is also called a "strainer".

Based on what I gleaned on this site, I bought one--one of those little plastic $30 ones with a white top and clear cup. I was a little concerned about its being a plastic, but was assured it was fine. Installed after the T-flush fitting before the pump. Worked fine. Caught zebra mussels, seaweed, etc that could have reeked havoc, but luckily had not in the past. That fall, I winterized with the -60 marine green stuff.

I noticed as I was prepping for the following spring that the plastic bowl that had been clear was now white, opaque, and on the inside, the opaque white stuff had crazed-scored-the inside of the bowl. Not good. I asked a lot of knowledgeable people about it and no one had a explanation. West, the retail seller, gave me another bowl. I finally noticed that the package has a small warning, No Alcohol, and realized there was alcohol in the antifreeze left after winterizing, and wondered if that was the problem. Even the fancy bronze $100+ ones had a clear plastic bowl.

I then called the manufacturer, Groco. Very interesting. They told me that all the bowls of the little strainers like I had--even the ones marketed by other manufacturers--had the same bowl made by the same supplying company. And yes, it was the alcohol in the antifreeze that did it and had compromised the structure of the bowl. And that their bronze ones had clear bowls made of a proprietary material that antifreeze (or any alcohol) would not react with.

So, I bought a "real" strainer made for engine raw intake. About $93 on the net.

I rest easy now. I do not want mussels setting up residence in my A4.

Mary

Last edited by HOTFLASH; 10-31-2007 at 06:47 PM. Reason: spelling
  #3   IP: 69.138.78.82
Old 10-31-2007, 07:09 PM

My Bronze one the the clear plastic bowl has stood up to antifreeze for the past two winters. They must be right.

Mike