Do you have a two or three blade prop, and does it fold, feather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JDK
    • Apr 2016

Originally posted by 67c&ccorv View Post
    Bought the Indigo 3-blade for my Corvette but I won't be in the water until July 22/09.

I will post any noticable differences with the new prop.
    how do you like your prop so far ? mine has been great on my '68.....do you also use a Nut B type prop nut zinc ??

Comment

• wristwister
      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
      I've heard of this drill but have never tried it.

When hauled out turn the prop shaft so the two blades of the prop line up with the keel and rudder. Mark the shaft inside the boat. When sailing turn the engine in gear until the mark lines up and the prop is in line with the keel & rudder.

Has anyone ever tried this?
      What were the results? Did it incerase boat speed?
      Is the drill worth while or a waste of time and effort?

TRUE GRIT
      Interesting discussion, I'm glad it was brought back to life.

John, I do line up the prop to the keel when racing, and sometimes even when just cruising. I can't say definitively how much it helps boat speed as there are other factors involved that vary race to race (bottom cleanliness, weight etc,), but I've got to believe it helps. Lining up the shaft is quick and easy to do with the Tartan 30 as the engine is up by the mast so shaft access is easy.

I'm interested in what folks are saying regarding directional control in reverse for various prop types. My tartan has absolutely zero direction control in reverse ... ever! I've lost count of the embarrassing bouncing back in forth in marinas I've done. I've always assumed this is because on the T30 the prop is way up forward (see pic below) while the rudder is way back. I'm not following how type of prop would help significantly with this.

"A ship in the harbor is safe ... but that's not what ships are built for.

Comment

• Oldlaxer1
        • Sep 2014

I have a Tartan 30 with the Indigo Prop on it. I never owned it with a two blade so I cannot comment on the difference especially when reversing. I do think I get a bit of port prop walk but as you know with the prop so far forward of the rudder we get minimal prop wash. I love the videos where spinning your boat on a dime is as simple as back and fill. Not so on the Tartan 30. I have found the best method for any tight maneuvering in reverse is to get up some sternway (if that's even a word) and then the rudder has good control. Stopping the reverse motion is really good with the Indigo with a quick shot of forward. I do a lot of pre-planning (and sweating) when I'm going into tight quarters.
        John Novotny
        1973 Tartan 30 #186
        Baltimore, MD

Comment

• bobtookmm
          • Dec 2012

Motored alot of miles with my Indigo ... its been good. nothing miraculous in the back up department.

Comment

• Flyingmike
            • Dec 2015

Inigo vs Martec

Had the boat hauled out this last week for bottom paint and cutlas bearing. And on whim yesterday I went over to Martec and bought a new 12x6 folder. I pulled the indigo so now I can post some direct comparisons for Indigo vs Martec when I go back in the water next week.

Comment

• Boat
              • Aug 2014

Dudes, my boat has had an original 2 blade. martec 3 blade, some other kind of 3 blade. personaly i did the last two these are crap compared to a maxprop sorry, but its the gods honest truth. bite the bullet and get one. you will not regret it
              '69 Newport 30 MKI Hull #20

Comment

Working...
              X