• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregH
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2015

Those things that you buy...

Quick question to the collective brain-trust...

Are those little home spark plug cleaners one can buy worth it?
    Greg
    1975 Alberg 30
    sigpic
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

They do work sort-of. You would be far better of getting the "correct plug" and keeping the engine tuned properly. A clean running engine will not foul plugs and is easily started.
    If your plugs are fouling they are trying to tell you something but only if you listen.

In running my ole A-4 (34 years) I never cleaned a plug and only had to dry a few when dewatering. I used my plugs for at least 3 seasons and did have an EI.

Plugs do break down as far as electrical resistance is concerned and that can't be cleaned!

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

I agree - if you need to clean your plugs something is wrong.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• GregH
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
        They do work sort-of. You would be far better of getting the "correct plug" and keeping the engine tuned properly. A clean running engine will not foul plugs and is easily started.
        If your plugs are fouling they are trying to tell you something but only if you listen.

In running my ole A-4 (34 years) I never cleaned a plug and only had to dry a few when dewatering. I used my plugs for at least 3 seasons and did have an EI.

Plugs do break down as far as electrical resistance is concerned and that can't be cleaned!

Dave Neptune
        oh I agree with you 100% I just see these things and sometimes wonder...

new plugs for this year are waiting to go, but I do need to solve the too rich setting on the engine this spring (pulled the plugs in the fall and they were black! - I fee so ashamed)
        Greg
        1975 Alberg 30
        sigpic

Comment

• GregH
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2015

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
          I agree - if you need to clean your plugs something is wrong.
          And there is!

last summer first summer running the engine and learning hands on versus just reading here... "lots" to dial in still this year.
          Greg
          1975 Alberg 30
          sigpic

Comment

• Al Schober
            Afourian MVP
            • Jul 2009

My first cruising (overnight) boat had an outboard, and I recall toasting spark plugs on the alcohol stove. That engine was stolen - thief deserved it!
            With the A4, if you're running rich I'd suggest the adjustable main jet offered by our host. I like this adjustable jet and have installed it on every engine I've owned or overhauled.

Comment

• GregH
              Afourian MVP
              • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Al Schober View Post
              My first cruising (overnight) boat had an outboard, and I recall toasting spark plugs on the alcohol stove. That engine was stolen - thief deserved it!
              With the A4, if you're running rich I'd suggest the adjustable main jet offered by our host. I like this adjustable jet and have installed it on every engine I've owned or overhauled.
              It's definitely on my shopping list!
              Greg
              1975 Alberg 30
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X