Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Good Guys

#101   IP: 216.115.121.240
Old 06-20-2012, 12:15 PM
Afourian MVP

DDO,
I know Puget Sound is a big place, but a few guys(and one grandma) have asked about where to find a good mechanic around your area. I can't find the old posts—I'm terrible at the search features here.

Welcome for sure, and great to hear about more good guys,

russ

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"
  #102   IP: 68.56.139.11
Old 06-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Afourian MVP

I just typed a post telling how to get the pipe out of the flange.

where did it go??
  #103   IP: 158.145.240.111
Old 03-23-2016, 03:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

I'm having some problems with my exhaust. Two years ago I replaced all the rusted black pipe and installed new fiberglass 'tape' around it to keep the heat down.
However, when I replaced the pipe, I didn't replace the flange on the exhaust manifold and I'm had a hard time getting the couplers to tighten down so last night while doing my spring commissioning, exhaust filled the engine compartment.
While I haven't looked at it since then (plan to check it out this weekend), I suspect either the flange or the coupler just aft of the flange is loose.
My question is this: in a Catalina 27, is the multi-part coupler that you see in the attached picture, just before the first 90 degree elbow, really necessary? Can you just run a straight piece of pipe from the flange to the first upward elbow? Seems simpler and easier.
Wade
Attached Images

#104   IP: 98.171.163.112
Old 03-23-2016, 08:38 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Wade
A big welcome to the forum.
I'm a fellow Cat 27 owner. I've rebuilt the exhaust hot section twice.
The answer to your question is the union is not necessary. However, it is extremely handy to have. You will find when you make up the new hot section some of the angles between the various pieces will need to be adjusted. It's a three dimensional not a two dimensional project. You will soon realize that is is a lot easier to tighten the union finger tight, figure out what needs to be changed, let the union loose, and and tighten the piping in the cockpit. If you can get to the new hot section and tighten the various joins up with pipe wrenches with the new hot section in place under the cockpit on a Cat 27 you are my hero.
Try to get some part of the riser as near the centerline of the boat as possible. This will make the new hot section function equally well on both tacks.
I always say doing marine engine M&R (maintenance and repair) on a Catalina 27 is like working down a gun barrel.

TRUE GRIT
Hull #4446
The Following User Says Thank You to JOHN COOKSON For This Useful Post:
Brent W (06-28-2017)