X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sglazebrook
    • Mar 2013

Side (Valve) Cover Plate

Does anybody know if the late model side (valve) cover plate fits on an early model block? I have an early block that I'd like to install the newer valve cover plate on so I can potentially upgrade to the PCV system easier (and in the mean time buy a new slash tube from our host).

Thanks.
    Scott
  • 67c&ccorv
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

You should maybe ask ndutton about this?

Comment

• thatch
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2009

sglazebrook, Based on the Universal master parts manual, it would appear that the later side cover plate will fit on an early block. Ken, in parts should be able to confirm this. Now for my real reason for answering this question.
      Many of us, including N. Dutton, feel that a PCV valve is more of a "Band-Aide" rather than an "up-grade". With a correctly installed slash tube along with proper ignition timing, our A4s are running very "fume free" without the need of additional fuel metering adjustments brought on with the addition of a PVC "vaccum leak".
      Tom

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

One of Our Favorite Discussions

Thd downside of the slash tube is that it dumps the oily mess (with dust) directly into the arrestor, and thence upstream of the carb's jet system thus contributing to schmutzy jets which we are always talking about. Gosh I love this subject.

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

You should maybe ask ndutton about this?
          If you dare . . .
          I have no idea about sideplate interchange, previous advice to ask Ken in parts is the way to go. Now, for the sideshow:
          so I can potentially upgrade to the PCV system easier
          Upgrade?? Hardly. There is no performance or economy advantage. The only reason for adding a PCV system is to manage excessive blowby from a worn engine that overwhelms the original design slash tube. Expect to inherit tuning difficulties when you make the change.
          The downside of the slash tube is that it dumps the oily mess (with dust) directly into the arrestor, and thence upstream of the carb's jet system thus contributing to schmutzy jets which we are always talking about
          Hmmm. My arrestor isn't oily or messy, my jet isn't schmutzy nor do I ever talk about it and I have a slash tube. How can this be??

I'll tell you how. My engine isn't worn (yet) to the point my blowby is excessive and when it wears to that point I'll rebuild it. Oily arrestors and schmutzy jets are not . . . wait for it . . . . ubiquitous with slash tubes.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• hcrisp
            • Aug 2012

Words

You do love that word, Neil.
            H
            sigpic
            S/V Swimmer
            Bristol 27

Comment

• hcrisp
              • Aug 2012

Words

That is not a complaint.
              H
              sigpic
              S/V Swimmer
              Bristol 27

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

I came that close - - - that close - - - to winning a set of A-4 spark plugs for that word. Lost out to eschew. Only two syllables with wimpy consonant sounds. It changed my life.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Mar 2010

But there is always the consolation award:
                  Last edited by hanleyclifford; 07-13-2016, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• sglazebrook
                    • Mar 2013

Thanks all - that helps (I'm away from the boat and my manual - but have an opportunity to pick a side plate up cheap).

The immediate reason to consider this is not for the PCV valve, but that my slash tube is disintegrating and I need a new one, and the new ones sold here seem to be a much better design than the older style (larger, more firmly attached, and, of course, readily available).

Thanks again!
                    Last edited by sglazebrook; 01-07-2014, 04:50 PM.
                    Scott

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by sglazebrook View Post
                      Thanks all - that helps (I'm away from the boat and my manual - but have an opportunity to pick a side plate up cheap).

The immediate reason to consider this is not for the PCV valve, but that my slash tube is disintegrating and I need a new one, and the new ones sold here seem to be a much better design than the older style (larger, more firmly attached, and, of course, readily available).

Thanks again!

WOW - I need one of those...any idea where I can get one?

PS - if you don't want your old early model side plate I would be willing to buy it if it is in good shape?
                      Last edited by 67c&ccorv; 01-07-2014, 05:49 PM.

Comment

• sglazebrook
                        • Mar 2013

Finally...

I finally got the time to replace the side/valve cover plate when replacing the manifold gasket (and exhaust flange and gasket and exhaust hot section and...). After having both off the engine I think the older version plate is more substantial and less prone to bending/deformation due to its shape, but the slash tube fitting (designed originally I believe for a flex tube connector to the carburetor) is smaller diameter than later slash tubes - the latter I would imagine does a better job of removing any gasses in the chamber and with the orientation of the hole on the interior side less likely to have oil splashed out of the slash tube and into the flame arrestor!

No plans for a PCV system at this time.

So, I have the old one that looks in great shape - just in need ofa little cleaning and paint.
                        Scott

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                          • Jan 2007

Fwiw

I personally think the PCV system is the best of all the upgrades for the A-4. It is a simple devise that helps us all with the air we breath on this rock!!! It has virtually no downside other than those with problems tuning an A-4!! It is not a band-aide it is a smog devise that works to benefit the environments air we all breath with no downside in performance!!!!

I have hooked up more than a few on A-4's and re-hooked a couple too since the misinformation posted on this site. I know it is something not available here and that does not mean it is not good for the A-4 and our environment.

Rant over.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

Misinformation? That stings!

Truly, my prior posts about the PCV were only a differing opinion, not an attempt to misinform. I steadfastly maintain my factory original slash tube handles the blowby on my engine very well and I have a pretty sensitive schnozz.
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Mar 2010

Fwiw

I did a little testing on my engine with and without PCV. I discoverd that in neutral at 1000 rpm the PCV was costing me 1 to 1.5 inches of vacuum. Not sure I like that so I have purchased a snubber from McMaster and will report back on results.

Comment

Working...
                              X