• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ubxf
    • Mar 2019

Stud broken in the collet tool

Hello,
    i was having some success removing some old rusted studs to free up the head and my newbie luck ran out and a stud broke inside the cg500 collet.
    I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions for removing the broken part.
    I guess drilling might work but it might damage the thread of the collet.
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

Once you loosen the collet, the stub of the stud will be free - it's just a matter of getting a grip on it. First thing I'd try is a drop of CA glue on the end of a dowel. Next would be a left hand drill bit.

Comment

• ubxf
      • Mar 2019

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately the stud broke flush with the end of the collet. Also it is not loose it is like a nut perfectly griping the thread of the stud.

Comment

• lat 64
        Afourian MVP
        • Oct 2008

cut a slot for a screwdriver in the broken stud. If my picture is correct, then I think you can slide a hack saw in the slots. Use a good bi-metal blade and have patience. It will probably scratch up the slots but I don't think it will ruin it.

I found collets on E-bay for about $25(USD)
        Attached Files
        sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• ubxf
          • Mar 2019

great idea, i'll give it a try. Thanks

Comment

• lat 64
            Afourian MVP
            • Oct 2008

Just remember, you may be trying to cut a hardened stud. It may take some while.

Report your findings.
            sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• ubxf
              • Mar 2019

yes i tried for a while and didn't get very far. Just a flesh wound so far

Comment

• Al Schober
                Afourian MVP
                • Jul 2009

Unless you loosen the collet, you're not going to get the broken stud out. Use one wrench on the body of the tool and another on the top nut and back the nut off a turn or two. Then whack the top nut with a hammer - this will slide the collet out of the body of the tool. You may have to support the body of the tool when you whack it, just don't support the collet too.

Comment

• ubxf
                  • Mar 2019

yes that's exactly how i did the other ones and i could turn the studs by hand and remove them. This one though is different the collet is out but i have nothing to grab that why the idea of carving a slot sounds promising another would be to spot weld something to the broken stud but if the solder goes somewhere else i would be worse off.

Comment

• Al Schober
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jul 2009

See my original post. Spot of CA glue on a dowel or a left hand drill bit.

Comment

• ubxf
                      • Mar 2019

so cutting a slot in the bolt ended up working the best. i used a small file and it cut through the top of the bolt fairly easily. Now i removed all the studs but in the process 3 of them broke exactly flush to the top of the head like the first one.
                      The problem is that they are in a line in the middle of the head and even with all the others out the head is really stuck and not moving. So i'm going to buy some left hand drill bit and try to extract those studs. I'm afraid that after all this work i'm going to find out that the head is too badly rusted and can't be salvaged.

Comment

• ubxf
                        • Mar 2019

here are some pictures of the progress
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X