• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jsmickey19
    • Apr 2014

Broken oil pressure sending unit nipple

Hi All
    Climbing into my boat today (with the companion way stairs out) I managed to slip and snap the oil pressure sending unit off flush at the block.
    I plan on picking up a set of extractors tomorrow and will attempt to remove the remaining nipple from the block.
    As this is my first time attempting this operation I would appreciate any input, tips, tricks, etc. on how not to make a bad situation worse.

Thanks
    JSMickey
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

The extractor is probably the worst thing you can do; you will likely break off the extractor and have an even greater problem. The best thing is to drill out the material with increasing sizes until the threads remaining can be picked out with a sharp tool. If you can score a few left handed drill bits that is first prize. Sometimes the broken nipple end will just spin out for you. You should also have a 1/8" NPT tap on hand to chase the threads.

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Before you try all that, it might not be stuck. You can try a screwdriver or small chisel that will grab the inside of the remaining pipe and see if you can unscrew it. Don't overdo it and make a worse mess
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• jstaff
        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by jsmickey19 View Post
        As this is my first time attempting this operation I would appreciate any input, tips, tricks, etc. on how not to make a bad situation worse.
        I would suggest that you use a small hammer to tap lightly on the extractor while applying a constant, firm pressure on the extractor. I would hold the extractor with small pair of vice grips, and gently tap-tap-tap-tap... And gently apply twisting pressure.

Be patient, and gentle...

Comment

• jsmickey19
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
          Before you try all that, it might not be stuck. You can try a screwdriver or small chisel that will grab the inside of the remaining pipe and see if you can unscrew it. Don't overdo it and make a worse mess
          Thanks all,
          Tried twisting it out with the tapered handle spike of a file and that was a no go. I've got a feeling that the nipple has been in this engine since day one (73). I'm going to give the extractor a try (maybe with an impact hammer?). If that dosen't work I'll go with the drill.
          Any thoughts on heating it with a torch?

Comment

• Al Schober
            Afourian MVP
            • Jul 2009

That thread is 1/8 NPT. That size tap calls for a 21/64 pilot drill. 21/64 is not available from McMaster in left hand, but the next size smaller is 5/16 which is available. #3474A21 for $9.33 That's what I'd recommend.

Comment

• jsmickey19
              • Apr 2014

Thanks Al, I'll try and find those bits.

Comment

• jstaff
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Al Schober View Post
                That thread is 1/8 NPT. That size tap calls for a 21/64 pilot drill. 21/64 is not available from McMaster in left hand, but the next size smaller is 5/16 which is available. #3474A21 for $9.33 That's what I'd recommend.
                An extractor is much easier to find, and would be the first choice for many....

I would skip the impact driver as well.
                Last edited by jstaff; 04-22-2014, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• marthur
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Dec 2004

FYI: Here is a drill bit listed on Amazon with one day shipping available :

Left Hand Drill Bit 21/64
                  Mike

Comment

• old-sailer
                    • Nov 2011

I'm glad I'm not the only idiot that did this......HAHAHA

I was working on the engine and leaned on the sender and snapped off the brass tube also, right flush at the block. The air was blue... glad wife wasn't around.

You've probably fixed it by now but here's my solution.

Oh and be careful of drilling it may leave flakes in the hole, oil, engine and ruin the threads.

I have Easyouts that fit in the hole and with a coupled of taps to seat the tool and turning it, out it came. I drove over to Home Depot and bought another brass tube for $1 in the plumbing department and put it all back together.

Now I make sure I don't go anywhere near the damn thing.

Hi All
                    Climbing into my boat today (with the companion way stairs out) I managed to slip and snap the oil pressure sending unit off flush at the block.
                    I plan on picking up a set of extractors tomorrow and will attempt to remove the remaining nipple from the block.

Thanks
                    JSMickey
                    Last edited by old-sailer; 04-22-2014, 04:29 PM.
                    Mike
                    1980 30' C&C MK1

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Mar 2010

Better yet; replace with steel nipple.

Comment

• jsmickey19
                        • Apr 2014

Picked up a #4 screw extractor and a pair of brass nipples at a plumbing supply house. The extractor is pretty good sized and I'm not too concerned about breaking it off. Will hopefully get this done tomorrow.

Old -Sailor... Think your're an idiot? you should have been around last summer when I drilled a hole in the bottom of my boat. Couldn't for the life of me figure out where the water was coming from !!

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Dec 2008

Picked up a #4 screw extractor and a pair of brass nipples at a plumbing supply house. The extractor is pretty good sized and I'm not too concerned about breaking it off. Will hopefully get this done tomorrow.

Old -Sailor... Think your're an idiot? you should have been around last summer when I drilled a hole in the bottom of my boat. Couldn't for the life of me figure out where the water was coming from !!

Easyout extractors are a contradiction of terms...I would stay away from them.

Caveat emptor!

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

I'm not addressing this to anyone in particular and please forgive my incredulity but why in the world would you go back to the same installation that already proved itself (1) delicate and (2) vulnerable? Instead of "Now I make sure I don't go anywhere near the damn thing" why not get it out of its precarious position and never have to make this repair again?

Some of us have replaced the nipple with a short brass hose barb adapter and relocated the sender to an adjacent bulkhead connected with a short length of 300 psi hose (available at NAPA). Mine is an oil pressure sensor array with the gauge sender, electric fuel pump OPSS and Cole-Hersee switch for the EWDS, all securely mounted to a bulkhead.
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California
                            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Dromo
                              • Mar 2008

I had the 6'' 1/8 water pipe nap off flush at the block
                              I thought ,Here we go
                              I found a set of these extractors 1/8'' to 3/8''
                              you just tap it into the center of the pipe and put a socket on the other end ,
                              worked flawlessly
                              stay away from Easyouts
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X