Neil,
    How true it is!
    Tom

Comment

• roadnsky
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
      Whatever you do, don't buy one of those infrared thermometer thingys.
      HEY!!!
      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
      sigpic
      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• roadnsky
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2008

Guys-
        To add to the conversation, I'd offer something much safer and stronger than a ratchet strap for lifting.
        In the industry that I work in we always use a strap called a SPANSET.
        They're used for lifting everything from projectors and speakers to holding up lighting truss rigs.
        They cost about the same as a ratchet strap but a $12 Spanset has a tensile strength of 5300 lbs per inch! Overkill, but...
        They're also designed for lifting WITHOUT damaging the spot where they contact what they're lifting.

Here are just a few quick sites that I found that carry them.

Ideal for inconspicuous suspension of sound and lighting equipment, the Spanset™ model SS60 red-striped white core warning yarns provide positive indication for sling replacement.

You can always rely on SpanSet. Our practical solutions for fall protection, hoisting technology and load securing are individually manufactured for you using ISO-certified processes. They thus stand for maximum quality and work efficiency. SpanSet will also support you after your purchase: with services, inspections and a comprehensive programme of courses and personal consulting for your practical requirements. And that's something else you can rely on.

If you know someone that works in the convention or lighting industry, you could likely borrow a couple of them.
        Anyway, just thought I "throw" that out there as an option...
        Attached Files
        -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
        sigpic
        1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Marian Claire
          Afourian MVP
          • Aug 2007

Here’s to the lighting guys. A friend at the marina let me use his electric “stage” winch to lift my A-4. I used some of my old climbing webbing for the sling. After 30+ years she was dirty and oily and it got all over the webbing. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2008

To all Atomic 4 owners past, present and future;

I, 67c&ccorv...do hearby declare that I will not be held personally responsible for "crushed oil pan" symdrome as a result of this thread!

Now where is that guy with the IR thermometer?

Comment

• ButchPetty
              • Jul 2010

My hoisting experience....

...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uu9O40dbgU
              sigpic
              ButchPetty.com

Comment

• ILikeRust
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2010

Well I went out to the boatyard today and spent a few hours on the boat. They had towed it from my slip over to the boatyard and hauled her on Thursday, while I was at work. So when I showed up, it took me a few minutes to find her. They've got some way cool boats on the hard there.

I removed the bulkhead in front of the engine, all three batteries and the battery box for the two house batteries. Then I disconnected everything connected to the engine and removed the prop shaft bolts and engine mounting bolts. I also yanked the manifold and brought it home.

At this point, the engine is completely disconnected and just sitting in there, waiting to be plucked from its resting place.

I'll post a couple pics once I process them from the camera.
                - Bill T.
                - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• ILikeRust
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2010

Here she is on the hard:

Here's the engine in its sorry old engine box:

'

The previous owner relocated the manual bilge pump there, but it's never been hooked up. So you could merrily pump away at nothing. I took it off and plan on relocating it back up to the cockpit somewhere.

Here it is after I removed the bulkhead, the manifold, the batteries and the battery box:

Yeesh, huh? A bit of a mess. I'm going to replace that big, rusty old bilge pump with a modern one.

Of course, while trying to keep the prop shaft from turning so I could unbolt the flange from the back of the engine, I managed to drop the pipe wrench in the bilge. I did this immediately after I had the thought, "hmm, I wonder if I should tie a leash onto the pipe wrench in case I dro..... o, crap."

I didn't actually say "o crap", though. I said much, much worse than that.

I couldn't reach it, and won't be able to until the engine is out of there. Fortunately, I managed to get the prop shaft unbolted anyhow.
                  - Bill T.
                  - Richmond, VA

Comment

• Laker
                    • Sep 2010

Rust ,

Refresh me , please , as to what model / design your boat is. Shoal draft ; centerboarder?

The Virginia pines look nice.

Laker

(Packers won.)
                    1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• ILikeRust
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2010

She's a 1968 Pearson Wanderer 30. She's got 3,800 lbs of lead in the keel and draws 3'6" with the centerboard up and 6'9" with it down.
                      - Bill T.
                      - Richmond, VA

Comment

• lat 64
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Oct 2008

That's a very pretty hull.
                        I bet she sails straight.

I have that same old PAR bilge pump— circa 1985?. I went through mine and cleaned it up a bit. it works well. If you are really chucking it, maybe I can give you a few bucks for it? The more bilge pumps I have, the merrier I am.

I'll fix anything–it's personality flaw in me.

Russ
                        sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• ILikeRust
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Sep 2010

I'm not chucking the bilge pump - it's in excellent working condition. Near as I can tell, it's never been used - it appears totally clean inside.

I plan on locating it somewhere up in/near the cockpit, rather than down there in the cabin. Doesn't make sense to me to have it down there, plus it never was hooked up anyhow, so it was doing no good where it was. I want to hook it up in the cockpit or lazarette or something so it's quickly accessible up above.
                          - Bill T.
                          - Richmond, VA

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Mar 2010

Before you mount it anywhere check the "head" at which it is rated. Get the #s off the housing and check the Jabsco specs.

Comment

• lat 64
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Oct 2008

Bill,
                              I was lusting after your electric "big, rusty old bilge pump", not your manual pump.

I too, am going to finally mount up my Whale brand manual pump next spring.
                              I want to put it where I could pump it while driving the boat. I figure nothing beats a scared man with a bucket, but you can't steer the boat while running up and down the companionway steps.

cheers,
                              Russ
                              Last edited by lat 64; 01-10-2011, 06:35 PM.
                              sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• ILikeRust
                                Afourian MVP
                                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
                                Bill,
                                I was lusting after your electric "big, rusty old bilge pump", not your manual pump.
                                Ah.

Well, assuming I find a suitable replacement, you can have it.
                                - Bill T.
                                - Richmond, VA

Comment

Working...
                                X