Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   IP: 24.45.76.27
Old 07-05-2011, 10:48 PM

water in engine

Hello All,
I have a problem that maybe some of you can help me with. I am getting water in my cylinders and I cannot figure out what the cause is. About two weeks ago I discovered water in the #4 cylinder and I assumed it was from a poor exhaust design and so I changed the exhaust, as well as removed the head and manifold, removed the valves, cleaned and installed new valve springs. The motor was running great and then on the 3rd, I discovered water in the #3 & #4 cylinders. I shut the raw water off and ran the engine with just the fresh water cooling loop and water started spraying out of the #3 and #4 cylinders when I took the plugs out. I know that this is either from my head gasket (which was just installed) a cracked or holed manifold, head or block. I have now taken the head and manifold off the engine again and the head gaskets were in horrible condition and did not come off in one piece. I did over the heat the engine when I first reassemble it as I forgot to top off the fresh water expansion tank, so I guess it is possible that I "burned" the new head gaskets. It took longer to clean what was left of the head gaskets off of the head and top of the block than it did to take the engine apart. I cannot see anything that would indicate a problem with the head or block and they are now very clean. I brought the manifold home and acid washed it and have tried to blow into to it and listen for a leak but I cannot get it to leak! It seems fine!!! So now I do not know what to do. Should I put it all back together again just to discover that I am again filling my engine with water but still do not know where it is coming from. FYI, I know about not starting the engine with the raw water on and I even turn the raw water off before shutting the engine down to evacuate the exhaust system. The engine starts instantly, even with water in the #3 & #4.