Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Introductions

#1   IP: 4.155.15.165
Old 03-29-2010, 02:04 PM

Thumbs up on board repairs

Last fall I decided to do a minor on board overhaul of my engine (early model circa 1966). I removed the head, manifold, valve cover and water jacket side plate. First, I was checking for any major damage, e.g. cracks in the head or block and the condition of the head. I took every opportunity to spend time on the boat cleaning the water jacket, which was full of goop, some that could be scooped out and more that was totally hardened and had to be probed out. When the weather broke this spring I subjected the head and manifold to acid rinse to open passageways for water circulation. The last step was to remove the valves for cleaning and reseating, which was done by hand with compound. Then came the intimidating task of re-installing the valves. The tiny little, cone shaped "keepers" that compress against the springs are almost impossible for the novice, especially in the tight conditions on board. The first one finally went in successfully after about an hour or so, at which point I decided that the only way I was going to be able to complete the job was if I could invent a "third hand", so gave up for the day and headed back home to search around the workbench for an idea. On the way back to the car I spotted a wooden clothespin on the ground which looked like it might be just the extra tool I needed. The next day back on the boat I used one side of the pin as a wedge to hold the first half of the keeper in place with one hand while fitting the other side in place. I could then hold both sides in place with my right hand long enough to release the spring and capture the keepers in the washer in the bottom of the spring. Two more sessions and the job was done. Final step is valve adjustment and then reassembly.
  #2   IP: 76.7.99.137
Old 03-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Afourian MVP

Welcome to the forum. Nice job on the keepers. I had enough trouble replacing mine working out of the boat. Good to see another early model still kicking. Dan S/V Marian Claire
  #3   IP: 38.118.55.125
Old 03-30-2010, 09:01 AM

William,

I echo Dan's "well done" on your very innovative keeper technique. I can predict with some certainty that any other on board work you might face in the future will no doubt seem somewhat easier.

On the assumption that jobs with this level of difficulty sometimes benefit from more than one approach, others facing this daunting task might also try a technique of cutting a thin strip of duct tape (approximately 3/16") and wrapping it around the back side of a pair of keepers (the tape itself being in the shape of a "U"). Allow an inch or so of tape to extend out along the sides and in front of the keepers - being careful to not let the tape stick together in front of the keepers.

In this way the keepers can be spread and worked around the back of the valve stem (with the keepers stuck securely to the duct tape). You can then hold the keepers together by squeezing the ends of the duct tape in front of the keepers with your left hand while releasing the valve spring compressing tool with the right.

This method works especially well on the two end exhaust valves which are tucked somewhat out beyond the opening of the valve chamber. The strip of duct tape tends to be forced down off of the keepers as the valve spring compressing tool is released.

In any case, congratulations again on your very successful operation, and welcome to the Forum!

Don
  #4   IP: 216.115.121.253
Old 03-30-2010, 09:11 PM
Afourian MVP

Anybody that can do that in the boat must be a very calm person.

We used to use grease to hold keepers on the valve stem on tough ones like flatheads and VW diesels, but it's really messy and you can't see much for the grease when your done

A magnet tool always helps when removing them.

Kudos,
Russ

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Tags
frustration then success