Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Interest

#1   IP: 76.106.6.207
Old 11-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Afourian MVP

Last trip of the season

I went over to my slip today to winterize my A4, but the balmy Chesapeake weather (72 deg. F in Baltimore) tempted me out on the water for one more trip. Besides, I justified to myself, I need to warm up the engine to get the oil nice and hot, and running at the slip never gets her hot enough.

So out of Rock Creek I went, out into the smooth but not glassy Patapsco River for a quick spin around the White Rocks and back. When I got out to the rocks I saw there were a few fisherman hanging around there, so I went further upstream to make my big lazy circle home.

Lots of sailboats out there with me, but the winds were light and nobody was making any speed -- but on a day like this, who would care? Sunny with high white clouds and the warmest weather in weeks. I'm not rigged for single-handing anyway.

My A4 ran like a Swiss watch. I'd tinkered with the idle and main jet mixtures, riching them up a bit from where they'd been, and the results were very satisfactory. I was getting 2000 rpm on my 28' Newport, and I could tell there were a couple extra hundred RPM in there.

Out to the Rocks and back, and then on a whim up Rock Creek a bit to Oak Harbor, make a big circle in their basin, and then back to my slip at White Rocks. On my approach I idled down to 900 RPM with no hint of a hesitation, shifting from forward into reverse and backing into my slip like parking my car in an empty lot.

It was so warm it felt like I should be prepping for the new sailing season, not getting ready for winter. But winterize I did, and I already can't wait for spring.