Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Maintenance

#1   IP: 98.14.148.54
Old 08-27-2012, 09:45 PM

Spare parts for ICW trip

I am planning a trip from New York to FLorida down the ICW, with one 6 weeks cursing in the Bahamas (out of the reach of the USPS) and then back up again. The continuous 12h motoring for days is surely to place a big strain on the engine and parts. I am trying to prepare as much as possible with recent upgrades and maintenance procedures.

It would be great to get input and advice on what else I should do top prepare and, most importantly, which spares to carry.

Below is a listing of recent upgrades, planned maintenance procedures, and spare parts I have assembled so far. Would love your feedback!

Recent upgrades (2012):

70 amp Balmar alternator with smart external regulator
oil pressure gauge
RPM gauge
engine hour meter
Moyer water pump
SS sediment bowl
Moyer oil change kit
raw water strainer
Carburetor rebuilt (in 2010)

Planned procedures:
acid flush
pressure flush
oil change every 50 h

Suggested spare parts:
Ignition:
spark plugs (8)
coil (1)
alternator belt (2)
electronic ignition kit (1) -replaces currently installed non-electronic ignition once it fails

Fuel system:
carburetor service kit

Cooling system:
water pump repair kit
old Oberdorfer pump as spare
impeller and gasket set (2)
cooling system flushing kit

Thanks!
  #2   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 08-27-2012, 10:23 PM
Afourian MVP

Smile just a few items.

For your consideration: First make sure the boat meets CG requirements re: flares, lifejacket, etc etc etc. Keeping in mind that MMI and West Marine are always a phone call away....this is to keep you out of trouble and moving.
-MMI manual
-extra oil...Rotella 15w40 diesel...you will be motoring lots so this is what you need....shut down and check oil at least every 6 hrs. 15w40 doesn't burn away like 30 weight.
-little tube of grease to lub your pump and steering mech...turn the water pump cap every 3 hrs of engine use...saves the shaft big time.
-points, plugs, dist cap and rotor button. I have spare electronic ign as well...but I keep using this one, and no coil trouble...there's been issues with coil and EI
-water separator elements (3)
-inline filer as well and spares (3) ...filters because you don't know what you will get for gas some days
-have a look on the boat and see what type of clamps you have on various hoses etc....pick up a couple of each.
-tube of gasket silicone (black RTV will get you out of a jam)...just no good with gas.
-tube of "seal-all" good for temporary gas tank repair...works on gas as long as the level is below the leak for 24 hrs.
-spare gaskets
-wiring accessories...stripper, terminals, some spare wire.
-good socket set
-good set of screw drivers
-decent pipe wrench..not too big
-couple pair of vice grips
-spare T-stat if you have one installed....I don't like em!!! (if you use a T-stat have a spare head gasket)
-about 2 ft of engine water hose...in case you need to take something apart and the hose is damaged (might not happen but if you don't have it that's when you need it...or someone else will.)

other things:
-spare auto pilot belt if you have autopilot.
-spare anchor and rhode...lots of rhode and anchor Bruce / CQR...chain as long as your boat. Danforth is not what you what when everything is going for $hit.
-couple of spare clevis pins...check your size
-spare running light bulbs etc
-spare fuses
-copious amounts of libation
-throw a good luck coin in the bilge.
-good pliers set.
-voltmeter and test light
-if you have radar etc...spare fuses for those units.
-go to Costco and get yourself a new 10lb fire extinguisher as well...about $40 and it will put down a fire
-spare rope and nice long lines to tie up where ever.
-shop towels
-hand cleaner

That should keep ya busy for a while

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Last edited by Mo; 08-27-2012 at 10:53 PM.
  #3   IP: 173.166.26.241
Old 08-27-2012, 11:19 PM
Afourian MVP

Talking

A spare starter is also a good idea. You will need to anchor Bahamian style in many places so configure your bow for 2 anchors. Each should have 200' of combined chain and rode. A typical depth would be 20 to 25 feet in some places. Often there is no margin for dragging. I carry 2 35 lb CQRs on the bow with 50 feet of 3/8" chain each. You should also have a big Danforth style for soupy bottoms in a blow in places like Brigantine, NJ.
  #4   IP: 76.7.156.22
Old 08-28-2012, 02:34 AM
Afourian MVP

Short answer on spare parts is I carry a spare of everything that I can remove from the block and all parts should be "plug and play". Alt, starter, manifold, head, distributor, carb, pumps, 2 to 1, reversing gear etc. Remember to have all tools and gaskets needed to install each part. Not much good to have a spare head and no gaskets or torque wrench. BTDT. This is not so critical when in the USA but getting things in the islands can be problematic and $$$$.
Spare zincs, exhaust parts, I carry a complete set of pipe from the manifold to the water-lift, packing for the stuffing box, empty jug for oil changes, west system and cloth for repairs, oil and fuel filters, not always easy/in stock to get even in the US. Sail repair kit, outboard parts and dingy repair kit etc, it is endless and would be happy to give you a tour of the MC as you pass south.
Anchors are a touchy subject and one of the few areas Hanley and I disagree on. Use what you are comfortable with but be prepared for varying bottom conditions.
What part of the Bahamas? Do you plan to anchor out or use marinas?
Dan S/V Marian Claire, in the process of planing my return to the islands.
  #5   IP: 173.10.248.102
Old 08-28-2012, 10:35 AM

Do you have faith in your engine? I have done the trip 3 times from Ct. to Fl. and only had to replace 1 broken alternator belt and 1 water pump[mmi] that had a defective seal. that said I think unless you are leaving very soon 12hrs a day is unrealistic you wont have that much daylight and you dont want to run the ditch at night unless you have done it before. besides its all about the trip not the destination. Most of the people you meet will be very helpfull ,met one guy in a little marina dont remember where who let me stay for nothing and then let me use his brand new ford pickup to go get smokes and munchies, some people are just like that of course he had my boat if I didnt come back. have fun
  #6   IP: 12.166.158.242
Old 08-28-2012, 04:14 PM

I don't think I saw anything about fuel pump parts or a spare in these responses or your post. If you have a mechanical fuel pump, I would carry a rebuild kit - I always did on my boat for trips. If you have an electric pump, you might want to carry a spare electric pump or even a mechanical pump as a spare.
  #7   IP: 68.56.139.11
Old 08-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Afourian MVP

the ability to anchor the boat is very important. I guess I have more then enough, but I carry 5 anchors and 300 feet of chain, and 1000 ft of 5/8 nylon, and 300 ft of 1/2 nylon.

I made the ICW trip with no problems. I changed the oil a couple of times. If i did it again, I would have a spare carb, spare water pump, spare ignition, spare starter, spare alternator, spare fuel pump. I had all this except the starter and carb.

If the carb needs rebuilding, you may not have the time and stable platform, so a new carb would make it simple. Same goes with the other stuff.
  #8   IP: 24.152.131.155
Old 08-28-2012, 08:30 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
An old cruiser's approach is to install the spares and keep the originals in reserve. That way you know everything fits, works and is pre-adjusted.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
Old 08-28-2012, 11:48 PM
Carl-T705
This message has been deleted by Carl-T705.