• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ILikeRust
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2010

Quick ignition wiring question

So I'm making great strides in putting my engine back together and I hope to test run it for the first time on Monday (Memorial Day).

Here's my quick question:

The electronic ignition has two wires, red and black. Although the previous owner passed along to me a huge pile of paperwork and manuals (which has been great), I'm not finding any documentation on the electronic ignition, which he put in a couple years ago. The MMI Overhaul Manual gives great detail on the points and condenser but nuttin' on the electronic ignition.

I see that with points, you connect the black wire to the coil negative terminal, and I presume it's the same with the electronic ignitor (makes sense). What about the red? Does it simply go to the positive coil terminal?

This also makes me think it would be very nice and convenient if MMI would make all their documentation available on-line in PDF. Not the O/H manual - obviously, that's a valuable, marketable money-maker. I'm thinking of just the various one- and two-page instruction docs that come with the kits and such. I was hoping to find the instructions for hooking up the electronic ignition somewhere on the website, but no dice.

Thanks!
    - Bill T.
    - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Here ya go. Figure 2 (no ballast resistor) likely applies.
    Attached Files
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• ILikeRust
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2010

Sweet! Killer.

Thanks!